Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Poll

Should TK have a Mobile Version of the site, a smartphone app or both?

Mobile Version
- 3 (16.7%)
Smartphone App
- 2 (11.1%)
Both
- 8 (44.4%)
Neither
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TK Mobile Version/Smartphone App  (Read 11247 times)

-Osmond-

• "Time is an illusion, lunchtime - doubly so." -HG
    • View Profile
TK Mobile Version/Smartphone App
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »

Many times my friends and I have wanted to RP, or at least OOC in a room, but were not able to have access to a PC at that point. TK is highly incompatible with mobile platforms and consoles (though that makes up a small portion of the issue) and the inclusion of these platforms would be of a great benefit to us all in my opinion.

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
Re: TK Mobile Version/Smartphone App
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

where is no
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off

CherryBerry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:09:58 AM »

Both works, but I doubt it's coming any time soon. Webby's trying to.. y'know, get the base site in working order (I.E; bans actually keeping people off the site, the mod/admin forum working, etc) so don't expect a mobile or smartphone version for a while.

Karasu

• Ne Invocas Non Expellere Posis, Principum Mors Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

I didn't see an option for "no thanks".
"All who stand before me will fall, all who lay behind me know this well."
"Names? How fickle and odd. You are my people and here we stand together as one."

-Osmond-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:06:01 PM »

Both works, but I doubt it's coming any time soon. Webby's trying to.. y'know, get the base site in working order (I.E; bans actually keeping people off the site, the mod/admin forum working, etc) so don't expect a mobile or smartphone version for a while.

Yeah I figured it wasn't gonna happen for a while, just tryina get the idea ball rolling I guess, bring attention to it. I didn't expect anything, just hopin' for a backseat, really.

-Osmond-

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »

I didn't see an option for "no thanks".

Why thank you for pointing that out, I apologize my sleep schedule isn't what it used to be. =)

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »

Jokes aside I'mma be constructive here.

PHPMyChat is... kind of old software from my understanding. It's also very very limited in scope. TK compounds the issue by being a hack on top of this already ancient code that was if memory serves correctly ORIGINALLY INTENDED to only support ONE room, not multiples like it currently does.

What Webster is doing is having to play the part of some kind of master surgeon with a Frankenstein's Monster of code. He's done his best so far to patch tK's current code but honestly we need a complete rewrite. This is why the new version of tK seems to be going super super slowly, with no news one way or another as to what's going on. From what I know Webster's hard at work but it's like... not his actual job to do it. He does it, but work is slow because lo and behold he has a real world job and tK doesn't pay to keep him fed and clothed or keep a roof under his head whereas his real world job does.

As for a mobile version, the fact of the matter is there's no point whatsoever. All it would do is do what a browser does, but it would do only that, and thus wouldn't nearly be as functional or do anything tk does better, in fact it would probably be worse. It would take a lot of resources and coding a separate version of an app for ios and android (the two are NOT compatable), which just does what a browser does. and in which case you'd need to build an entirely new rendering engine and at that point you might as well just code a whole goddamn web browser from scratch.

In a word, no.

The chat is a website. you use a web browser to interact with it. An app is like an executable on a pc. So the perfect "app" for using tK is a web browser app on your phone.

IE, use a different web browser on your phone to access tK. :| That's basically how this is gonna work, and the only way to get it working.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »

The first thing TK needs is a new client so it gets both new people and cuts the bill. That should be on the absolute top of the list.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

CherryBerry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

^This.

-Osmond-

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »

Very well said.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »

The first thing TK needs is a new client so it gets both new people and cuts the bill. That should be on the absolute top of the list.

Well yes, obviously, but this is a free site, not some major corporate or social networking site. :|

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »

Well yes, obviously, but this is a free site, not some major corporate or social networking site. :|

You do understand that -new software- that -does not use craptons of bandwidth- is not a major corporation or social networking site endeavor, right?

You do know that there are sites that have moved to using these measures, and they are not run by major corporations, and not social networking sites, right?
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »

You do understand that -new software- that -does not use craptons of bandwidth- is not a major corporation or social networking site endeavor, right?

You do know that there are sites that have moved to using these measures, and they are not run by major corporations, and not social networking sites, right?

Yes.

What I mean is we have one person doing the entire code in his free time. Work it out.

Crest

• τοῖς τολμῶσιν ἡ τύχη ξύμφορος
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »

Vulpine, just stop posting.

PHPMyChat comes default with multiple channel options. The customizations have nothing to do with that.  The single room client was something else entirely in the webrpg days, before rpghost.

Proposing this is like proposing us having virtual reality.  Let's get the basics.

Instead of rallying for something like this, which is nowhere in the near future, why not make a thread of awareness discussing the bandwidth useage of the Keep and costs, to motivate people to make a donation pot in favor of paying a programmer from freelancer.com to make it for a few hundred dollars while long term saving thousands?

Too logical?  Maybe?

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 06:39:21 PM »

Vulpine, just stop posting.
don't ever stop posting, bby
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off
Pages: [1] 2 3