Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Uh. What.  (Read 35035 times)

TheSinisterMinister

• View Profile
Re: Uh. What.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »

Problem is, you can't possibly know for a fact who it was unless the globals went against their own word/rules/whatever and told you who it was.

TheSinisterMinister

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 07:09:49 AM »

And let me clarify...I'm not a hundred percent sure that's why Nazu got banned. It may have been Pyroflame, who was a good friend of Nazu. I'm just basing my question on sheer hearsay.

Auvic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 07:19:34 AM »

The fact that so many people can't understand that proof can't be tossed around without compromising anonymity is pretty strange. Amusing, but strange.
If you think removing a name from a log or screenshot is enough to maintain anonymity, you're either tech-deficient or willfully ignorant about other people's technological capabilities.

It is unfair that Fam suddenly banned Cherry and someone saying she is someone else. Did anyone check the IP address?
Well I guess not because as Nazu says: ANYONE with access to see the IP's associated with her and I. Go check. We're not the same people"
>assuming we don't check things
Well, okay.

The people being banned used to be content generators and RPers, the people who are actual shitlords are still lurking around.
>implying content generators and RPers can't be shitlords
Well, okay.

No, it's a witchhunt against who I already know it is, and have said logs of doing these things, which have already been submitted to the staff by the victim whether they call his name or not.
I don't know why Nazu supposedly got banned, because the thread never got answered and thus Nazu says he has no idea.  I really only know him from him resultingly swinging through my chat.
>dropping "victim" heedless of word connotation
>assuming banned users will be forthcoming with the reasons for their having been banned
Well, okay.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »

Let me tell you a tale, from the days of Bnet, a place which was the wild wild west of RP. A client full of intrigue and danger, and where a roleplayer's first 2 weeks there was their trial through fire. A place where it was the users who ultimately ran the community, and nobody else.

And in this land, once there was a dragon known as Tambrath Anon. When most roleplayers think dragons, they think of monsters with a capital M, breathing death upon their enemies. Or in regards to some piss poor players, what every noob wants to play, because it's the thing that is a monster with a capital M. When a noob was playing one of these creatures, let me tell you. It was a sight to behold. Every bnetter with half a brain would be lining up to kill the stupid son of a bitch because they were fucking retarded. There were few dragons that were exceptions being the rule. The first, and foremost exception was Vire, who was nothing less than absolutely fucking scary in combat. The second biggest exception was a young dragon named Kesson, who was known to be brutal and batshit insane, as he sometimes went out of his way to pick fights with powerful enemies. Ones that should kill him, and live to talk about it.

As you may have figured out, this story is about a dragon, but it's not about either of those dragons. It's about a third dragon. The absolutely most notorious dragon of battle.net. A name that if you say to nearly any bnet roleplayer who was anyone when this dragon was around, their hearts would drop into the pits of their stomach. A dragon which so deeply scarred me, 10 years later, I still remember his name.

That dragon, was Tambrath Anon.

Oh, Tambrath Anon. How we cannot forget you so! It's not because you were so good. It was because you were so bad. Horrible beyond reproach. You bought a new meaning of faggoty to bnet that before than many could not even start to comprehend. While I could get into all the exploits of Tambrath Anon, this story is not only about him alone. There was another important player in this story.

One who is called SearingJustice. A not bad, but not great roleplayer; but he stood out because he was a remarkable troll. This was before many people on Bnet realized just how competent he was at a sustained troll operations that were simple, but required a particular set of skills. And just what was this set of skills?

The ability to change your writing style, and mimic another user's writing style.

Tambrath was by far not a bright user, but he was in the camp that if he saw a few posts with a user, he could identify just who they were. But Tambrath had a vulnerability. You see, Tambrath had many people who played with him which were also dragon faggots but had disappeared for a time, for reasons along the lines of 'fuck if I know.' Perhaps they finally realized the player was as crazy as a madhouse, or perhaps their own folks took them to one. On the subject of Tambrath...just trust me when I say I have not even scratched the surface of this guy. Let's just call him Dragon Faggot though, because that's what it boils down to. He really was fucking crazy.

At any rate, where were we? Oh right! People he wants to see + battle.net username deletion policy (Six months I believe. I forgot. This is before the battle.net many of you know now. This was the OLDSCHOOL shit.) = a way in. Searing Justice saw an opportunity. He jumped on the vacant names of Tambrath's friends faster than I could say "Yo what the shit are you doing again?" He managed to uncover just how batshit insane this person was during his operation, Tambrath believing that each name that SearingJustice had snatched up was the user in honest. The skill that Searing Justice puppeteered multiple accounts at once was more than just with a sockpuppet. I did not even know what to call it than. I know what to call it now though. It was nothing less than a full-blown hall-of-mirrors attack. And with it, SearingJustice dug up so much dirt that I believe even Tambrath left Bnet for the longest time after that incident.

At the conclusion of this incident, Searing had become nothing less than infamous on Battle.net. Everyone was afraid. This was a true social chameleon that had let itself be seen, if only for a moment. People knew he was out there now, and that he could be literally anyone, and that simple 'I recognize the writing' is not enough to defend against him; as he could change his writing style, his mannerisms on the drop of a dime, to mimic other users. The point I'm getting across here is that 'I recognize the writing style' is not an absolute defense or way of finding something out: I mess with friends on TK all the time on accounts they do not know are mine, and they do not recognize me because I've learned how to tweak my writing styles in small ways. As such, it's not a fingerprint: While there may be many ways to say things, there's still a finite number. While there are opinions about things, people usually only see things one way or another: It's not impossible for multiple people to come up with the same conclusion. As such, while the margin of error may be 1 to 30, that margin for error is still there. And people are going to be angry for getting banned, especially if they did nothing to deserve it. As I do not know the situation in full, and only know one side of the story, I'm going to keep my opinion about that matter with me.

Oh. But SearingJustice? The one who is capable of performing a full-blown Hall of Mirrors attack? Yeah, he's on TK. He does not have good things to say about most TKers, but he comes to get his laughs. Just pray though, that nobody rouses his ire like how Tambrath_Anon did.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »

Story being told, time to move to the second issue here.

You see, this is what happens when there's a lack of transparency. It does not matter if you are the best mods in the world or not. In this day and age, people want transparency, because they do not, simply put, trust people. They do not trust leaders. They don't trust anyone. They want at the very least, a window to look into the operation. Mecha-hitler with transparency is better in the eyes of many hipster children than neo-matrix jesus with no transparency.

Give them a window. I'm not even going to try to go over this anymore. I've been over this so many times, and have had shit derailed because of whatever reason that I'm not even going to waste my time anyone the easiest way to do it. Just...my god, just do something.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

Crest

• τοῖς τολμῶσιν ἡ τύχη ξύμφορος
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »

Problem is, you can't possibly know for a fact who it was unless the globals went against their own word/rules/whatever and told you who it was.

Okay.

Fenris

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »

If I say this Searing Justice guy's name three times in the mirror in a dark room will he come out and shim me?

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »

No, but if you light 12 candles in a perfect circle around you than log into a chat client, absolutely every person in that chat client will be him.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

Nazu_Knapp

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »

>assuming banned users will be forthcoming with the reasons for their having been banned
Well, okay.

...You didn't even fucking read my appeal did you.

You didn't even fucking read the appeal, holy shit.

Alright looky here. I explained in THIS thread too!
I'll put it in greentext form so you can understand since it seems all you do is ghost in rooms on TK and post nonsense on the forums.

>Be me
>Other asshole be Satoshi
>Other asshole won't leave me alone
>Ban him from four rooms because he keeps fucking harassing me and won't leave me alone/won't stop whispering/won't stop being a little bitch
>Get banned for "harassing" him because LolFamiliar

That is it, in short, fucking POINT FORM for you, buddy.

Don't say I'm not forthcoming, because that's what fucking happened.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »

Wait, Satoshi, the TK version of Tambrath?

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHFKLDNWEIO:FBNDJSK:FBGHUEIOQWBNFDUIEWFBUIJDB

ahem, excuse me.

Not laughing at you Nazu. Not laughing at you.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »

I'll say this. There are users that have gone into hiding and left TK altogether to try to get away from Satoshi, because he does -not- leave them alone and actively tries to find them, which is against their wishes. Remember that....hive...weird....bee room? Remember how they just up and disappeared one day? There's two examples of people running like hell from Satoshi right there.

Granted, those mooks arn't high on the totem pole of much of anything. In fact, I would like to see their weird asses gone too, but still.

Edit: In fact, I recall lurking on TK and seeing one of them enter the room, and request for people to NOT tell Satoshi that they've been on. That says something.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:56:32 PM by MEGAMADMUSICIAN »
The only way to win...

...is to not play.

Nazu_Knapp

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »

I could use some laughter for once. Szurane's dark.

...and cold.

...I miss you guys

-qq's eternally-

Also. No, I don't remember the hive weird bee room. As it just so happens I've been banned for two years.

mysterymegz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »

Also they assumed that Nazu and Cherry were the same person. Shouldn't they check the IP address before assuming this?

Ix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 02:13:48 AM »

Well, okay.

...You didn't even fucking read my appeal did you.

You didn't even fucking read the appeal, holy shit.

Alright looky here. I explained in THIS thread too!
I'll put it in greentext form so you can understand since it seems all you do is ghost in rooms on TK and post nonsense on the forums.

>Be me
>Other asshole be Satoshi
>Other asshole won't leave me alone
>Ban him from four rooms because he keeps fucking harassing me and won't leave me alone/won't stop whispering/won't stop being a little bitch
>Get banned for "harassing" him because LolFamiliar

That is it, in short, fucking POINT FORM for you, buddy.

Don't say I'm not forthcoming, because that's what fucking happened.

I certainly did read your appeal. I'm sure Auvic did, too.

We actually had already talked about it before you ever posted it, on the order of 'several months ahead of time.' Well, the others did; I abstained from the decision. Obviously, it came up as 'No,' and I (being the one that's usually the one who does the messaging) forgot to inform you. Probably. I forget if I forgot, to be honest. This was not intentional, though it's always unpleasant news to bear - procrastination just means I'll have to do it later. To be frank, your appeal was one of the more interesting ones I've seen...though it did wrap up several months before you ever actually made it, one of only two or three we've done ahead of time in that manner.

I'll make it known now, though: If a ban appeal is requested on these boards, it is investigated. Proof is reviewed. Information is gathered. It is discussed. A lot of the time, we can find a way to spin it to make the sentence lighter, and will most often argue for leniency. Auvic, in particular, is really good at playing Devil's Advocate and holding us to our Ombudsman duties even if, as is inevitably sometimes the case, we all being human, we simply don't like a person, for one reason or another.

The peanut gallery seems to be of the opinion that the staff doesn't even bother to have the faintest glimmer of certainty that the person they're banning for ban-evasion is, in fact, ban-evading. Claims the staff should check IP addresses. Seemingly expects proof to be waved around. 'Transparency,' when said transparency could compromise resources and methods. If you know a particular test is performed in a particular way to check for a particular thing, it's much easier to fake a positive or negative result. Telling how something was learned, in this context, can cause problems with learning it later.

Doesn't, seemingly, consider something glaringly obvious: Permanent bans on grounds of simple harassment are exceedingly rare, simply because it takes a special kind of rock stupid to push it to that point. Usually, it's one or two counts of harassment, one count of ban-evasion a day or two later, or they simply break several rules while they're breaking that one and get cleaned out.
Maybe, just maybe, things aren't quite as simple as they're made out to be.
Does that mean I'm going to explain the entirety of this situation to anyone on these boards who doesn't already know it? No. Don't care who asks. But anyone claiming, and I'll just summarize from the other thread, that "I was using a command I thought I was well within my rights to use to deal with someone, and after four or so rooms I removed them from, they went to the staff and I got permanently banned," should be subject to, perhaps, a bit of extra scrutiny.
Since when does simple use of a room-mod tool, even targeted at one specific person in several rooms, warrant a perma on tK?
What could possibly cause the Ombudsmen to perform an investigation months before the appeal?

Funny story, by the way: The staff actually do check IPs, but the database simply doesn't include every IP address of every name that's ever been logged into tK, and names used to de-reg after thirty days - before the crash that killed, among other things, the forums. So, what, check the current IP against the one on record from the time of banning? What if they moved? Some of these records go back years. What if they're altering their IP address by some other means? It's not like it's difficult. Ask real nice and hope what they say is the truth? Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's actually far more frequent that they're spotted by other means. One guy would most often ban-evade into the Lobby during football season and talk 'ball with some of the regulars; he didn't even bother to hide his identity, honestly, and I'd often spot him hours before he said anything and got, subsequently, rebanned.

All that said, I've seen the proof, and it holds; it doesn't get much clearer.

Auvic

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:15 AM »

[inquisitor freeing intensifies]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10