Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Should you play: Black Desert Online  (Read 3827 times)

Bane

• View Profile
Should you play: Black Desert Online
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »

The impression-review no one asked for with a pseudo-clickbait title. You're welcome.

I typed this up once, had to restart and was too lazy to actually save the text anywhere, so this time I'm going abbreviated with a shoddy pros/cons system.

PRESENTATION
+Looks real damn good for an MMO. Jesus the pretty peoples man. Seems reasonably well optimized; I run it on max with a 970 with few issues even in populated areas. In fact populated areas are surprisingly fluid; TERA is less graphically detailed/intensive yet ran way worse when you were in a populated place like velica or lumbertown.
+Good mob placement, generally. It doesn't feel like they just plonked down a group of x creature randomly for you to slay 30 of, though populations still have to be somewhat high since it's an MMO. A good compromise between naturalness and player accommodation.
+Reasonably nice looking UI and all.
+Small details like having multiple mount animations depending on where you try to get on the horse from, when many games would just force the same one.
+Extremely seamless open world; loading screens are scarce. Have I even run into one past initial login?
-The english can be uh, pretty bad.
-Voice acting ranges from passable to terrible.
-NPC merchants tend to ramble. The same thing. Over and over. Jesus just increase the speech delay by like two minutes.

CHARACTER CREATION
+Yeah.
+Hell yeah. I literally have like over 3 hours in this fuckin' thing. Like over an hour per character ratio.
+There's a poser too, so you can learn how creepy 3D posing/animation is.
-You can't seem to wear outfits in the poser? Why man.
-The tattoos, in the creator for sorceress at least, seemed super low res. Like terrible.
-no voice options. As in literally one with a pitch slider.
-Sex-locked classes. I don't think it's a huge deal and it reminds me of vindictus again in a sense, but I know some people don't care for it.
-There are just three races afaik; giant-person, human, and elf. Only the humans have more/are more than one profession.
PS: click the eye icon in the top left to stop your character from turning their head to follow the mouse.

STORY
~I've heard it's nice in korea and shit in the western release. For my part I think it's more interesting than usual so far. You seem to be infected by a darkness which manifests as a remorseless, almost child-like shadow entity that might as well be named Homunculus because all I think of when I see that thing is FMA. It seems to be trying to use you to strengthen itself, while you struggle to remember just what the hell you were doing before all this and figure out what's going on.

GAMEPLAY
+You level p. fast, at least initially. You'll be 10+ within half an hour.
+Doing shit increases stats; remember how running upped stamina in GTA:SA? And how you could go to the gym? It's similar here. It's kind of novel seeming, but grindy.
+Controls/mobility feel pretty good. They also emphasize the ability to jump and climb, which factors into more quests that utilize the third dimension.
+Your sprint is rather limited, but the walk/run speed actually feels fast enough that I don't care personally. 
+There's a horse breeding deal where you can tame/capture wild horses and start breeding for high tier rides, and I presume sell them.
~Quests variety comes down to kill x amount of y, talk to x, destroy x object, and do this occasional platforming thing. However so far I haven't had to kill an obscene number of anything, and frankly it goes pretty fast because this is offset by the fact that every(?) class can deal multi-target hitting damage very easily. Also remember that combat is the most emphasized thing in this game alongside the pretty visuals, so it shouldn't feel like a chore if you're actually trying to use your class in an efficient or interesting way.
~You can't really give shit to anyone; you won't be dumping sweet loot on your scrub friends/alts to power them through. This is because the game apparently heavily emphasizes hard working industrial capitalist randian ideals getting shit yourself and buying what you can't to help drive the economy. I haven't participated much in the crafting/selling/economic aspects of the game, so I can't speak as to its effectiveness. I'm okay with the idea though.
-The beginning can be a bit of a chore. Your dark misty companion is thirsty for imp blood--like, he really wants those things dead. So you'll be talking to him often and killing a fair few imps for the first few hours. There's also an annoying video tutorial that comes up every time on a new character; it should stay gone for good after the third X'ing out.

Seriously, I wasn't kidding about the imps.

COMBAT
+The best mmo combat I've encountered outside of vindictus. Like vindictus, tries to integrate as much as possible into usage of a few key inputs, reducing the need for hotbar slotting.
+Solid sense of impact. You fuckin smack things up man.
+Most moves seem multi-target (at least in PVE), so you aren't super-outclassed by things like AoE casters when it comes to wrecking larger numbers of enemies quickly.

OTHER
+In spite of being rather PVP combat focused (at least in the current western release) and Daum being hungry for money, it isn't P2W. Hallelujah.
+30 bucks and no monthly sub is pretty good for such a solid mmo/game.
-Of course they make up for it with obscenely expensive cash shop items. I'd rather a monthly sub and 5-10 dollar range vanities, honestly.

Strong 8/10, maybe a 9. I'm likin' this thing.

bonus picture of my adorable tamer in the light of the rising sun. I never noticed how much imgur compresses and artifacts pictures though, 'cause it did a number on her hair.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:57:06 AM by Bane »

Web~Janitor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Should you play: Black Desert Online
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »

I have installed BDO and played it a bit.

I'm having trouble getting into it. I kind of don't want to grind anymore.

The challenge level is there, but I'm not engaged. I don't know how to deal.

Karasu

• Ne Invocas Non Expellere Posis, Principum Mors Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »

Not worth it.
It's a WoW knockoff with less payout.
"All who stand before me will fall, all who lay behind me know this well."
"Names? How fickle and odd. You are my people and here we stand together as one."

Bane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »

Not worth it.
It's a WoW knockoff with less payout.

That's a strange comparison. I never played WoW, but based on what play I have seen I don't really see similarities. The primary intended draw of BDO, aside from being gorgeous, is combat and its implementation. It's very actiony. WoW looks pretty not.

topazthespaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

It's not a fair comparison at all. I haven't played BDO(not a big fan of pvp) but the only things the same are it's a fantasy MMO. BDO being from what I understand far more open world pvp oriented than WoW, with overall different goals as well as a I believe player driven economy. Like the controls are different, the theme behind the two games are different. By Karasu's logic WoW is a EQ knock-off.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:38:46 AM by topazthespaz »

Justy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »

I think it's just a running joke that 'Every new fantasy MMORPG is a WoW clone' these days. 90% of the time it's a false statement, but people still feel the need to say it for... whatever reason.

Just like every new major fantasy MMORPG is pegged as 'The WoW killer' and then they end up free to play in a year. Somehow WoW has become the mold that everything is judged by, and it's just kind of sad.

Karasu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:40 AM »

Wow = Grinding endlessly forever. Who gives any shits about story. BDO = Endlessly grinding forever. Plot? What plot?
wow = Fighting bosses to get less than level gear, almost continuously. Bdo = same.
wow = dragging your sad ass to many places to get or gain character perks/mounts/skills Bdo = geee. seems same.
..... BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT wat aboet the player drivern markeet?!
wow = online market place where players sell and buy shit between one another. bdo = Oh my lord. the same shit. Diablo also. as with many games.
The actual "economy" doesn't change. Market prices do. Npc prices do not fluctuate. PC pricing does.

Eq = yeah pretty much sadly.

Higher end games above BDO/Wow/eq/
UO = craft your own shit. The Npc market is made of player characters selected by their host accounts to be salesmen. The few actual solid npc markets are town centers. There is a larger somewhat like skyrim. Graphics are better than Runeshit, but not as great as modern high end things.
Runecraft = Plot, market, actual quest, crap graphics, shoddy navigation and object collision.
Skyrim = Claims to be a sandbox, but isn't. Better graphics, no actual market. Plot is there unlike BDO or WoW. There are easter eggs and funny haha type things the devs put in.
"Names? How fickle and odd. You are my people and here we stand together as one."

topazthespaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »

BDO and WoW are only the same on the most basic of MMO levels. Under that though both operate on entirely different styles of gameplay, and in their own mechanics. WoW: operates as most rpgs tend to, with more basis on pve elements. BDO: More action and combat oriented, with a focus on pvp. Yeah WoW has pvp, it has entire servers dedicated to pvp but it also has servers dedicated to pve. BDO doesn't, it's a game for people that want to fight other people, and they built it's controls to better situate those players. So yeah both are grindy, both have auction houses, both are fantasy. Those few things aside BDO and WoW are nothing alike.

As for no plot, are you just ignoring the fuckload of lore that WoW has, because it has a shit ton of lore, it has a plot. I mean if you just ignored it cool-beans, but it's there, and people you know they do give a fuck about it, if not there wouldn't be players having full on arguments about how this expansion changes this bit of lore here in the message box. Or well at least last time I played it that was a big thing but it's been a year or two at least.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:38:53 AM by topazthespaz »

Karasu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »

BDO and WoW are only the same on the most basic of MMO levels. Under that though both operate on entirely different styles of gameplay, and in their own mechanics. WoW: operates as most rpgs tend to, with more basis on pve elements. BDO: More action and combat oriented, with a focus on pvp. Yeah WoW has pvp, it has entire servers dedicated to pvp but it also has servers dedicated to pve. BDO doesn't, it's a game for people that want to fight other people, and they built it's controls to better situate those players. So yeah both are grindy, both have auction houses, both are fantasy. Those few things aside BDO and WoW are nothing alike.

As for no plot, are you just ignoring the fuckload of lore that WoW has, because it has a shit ton of lore, it has a plot. I mean if you just ignored it cool-beans, but it's there, and people you know they do give a fuck about it, if not there wouldn't be players having full on arguments about how this expansion changes this bit of lore here in the message box. Or well at least last time I played it that was a big thing but it's been a year or two at least.

It's not had any legit plot since the older Warcraft stand alone versions that were not MMO sorts.

> W1:Orcs vs Humans, and W2:Tides of Darkness. <

wont even step into the nasty continuity errors that are 3/dota/ and WoW. All of them are where plot falls apart though.

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »

it's nothing like wow
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off