Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Hey uh... Just a thought... Regarding this site  (Read 552 times)

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
Hey uh... Just a thought... Regarding this site
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:36:01 AM »

This has sort of being bouncing around my brain a bit, but...

...I'm genuinely surprised someone hasn't started a Discord server for the same sort of purpose as tK. Like seriously, anybody can literally just start a discord server with various text rooms and everything. I think there's a limit on how many people can be signed up to a server at once, but it's at least 100 people I think for a non dedicated server. You can set granulated user and moderator rights and permissions, custom emoji, there are bots that can be used to do dice and whatnot, proper moderator tools and logging...

I think the only thing it lacks is something like the /whisper command because that's superseded by direct DMs, and potentially private rooms (you can give users permission to make and moderate their own rooms but I don't think you can just... make a private room like you can on tK), but again that's pretty much superseded on discord also by making a small quick private group and inviting people to it.

Has anybody thought about maybe doing this for tK as a whole? It might save a lot on bandwidth costs and infrastructure. It is of course just a suggestion and I'm sure there's reasonable objections to using Discord and keeping with a site like this. It just strikes me that there is potentially an option there that might not have been explored, or that it already has been and it doesn't work so well.

Web~Janitor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hey uh... Just a thought... Regarding this site
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »

Would folks like an "official" tK discord?

If the community wants to move platforms, I can help that if everyone supports the move.

Zeirum the Oft Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »

Would this make TK more dependent on a third party than it currently is?

I really appreciated a bit of wisdom passed down by Burnie Burns on the Rooster Teeth Podcast.  He credits one of Rooster Teeth's successes being a stand alone website.  He warns newer/younger creators that while YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. offer a lot of infrastructure on the cheap, you do become shackled to them and beholden to whatever changes they make to the platform.

I'm not saying that I know that the move would have repercussions like those platforms can have.  I don't really know anything about Discord.  So,  y'know, I'm just asking.

Web~Janitor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

It's a good question. Maybe tK should just have updated software.

In either case I'm moving it onto a new server so, that's good news.