Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Forums, I am in you. And I am sad.  (Read 334 times)

Zeirum the Oft Confused

• View Profile
Forums, I am in you. And I am sad.
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »

Was just cruising around RPGHOST's forums on the Wayback Machine and got nostalgic.   I just had to come in here but I was a little sad at the lack of activity. 

What could be done to make this a bustling community as it once might have been considered?

I'm not saying, WHAT DO? LETS DO!   I just wonder if there are any theories about what it could be.

Zeirum the Oft Confused

• View Profile
Re: Forums, I am in you. And I am sad.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »

Had a thought on the matter while I was at work.

Was it possibly the rise of social media?  I mean, it definitely weathered MySpace and at least the earlier days of Facebook.  I think I'm settling on it being somewhere between Social Networks and the ubiquity of smartphones.   Maybe it used to be that we sometimes just needed to talk to someone but I think it was more like we used to get on our computers pretty often and now we don't.  If we need most things a PC used to do, almost anything, we can pull out our phone and do it instead of jumping on a PC.  It's something like that.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 05:27:02 AM »

To be honest, with most interactions taking place on the site itself, and with groups probably using Discord and IMs of various kinds to organise roleplay (since you can scroll back and read older messages from when you weren't online in the group at least on Discord), a forum these days has... a lot less impact and use. Could also be that people have set up Facebook groups as well (I don't use facebook).

This sort of forum is sort of a relic from the 90s and early 2000s of the web. You don't see many of them around these days, except in already very large communities such as GOG, Steam or certain large game series like anything by Paradox Interactive.

With a site like this, which is pretty niche to begin with, the forum barely gets any use because things are often discussed in the chat itself, which is sort of a shame because it's all transitory and ephemeral. What's said one moment is literally gone the moment you change rooms, log off, or close the browser/tab. Nothing is recorded except by virtue of individuals deciding what they felt was important to record.

To be honest the old forums weren't exactly all that bustling either. There really was just a small group of particular users who made use of them in any meaningful capacity and frequency and once they left the site, nobody replaced them.

That's not necessarily a really bad thing, or a comment on how the old ways were better. I just think forums in general are a very ... "slow burn" sort of community? They're great if there's already a huge constantly active community but tK has "dead periods" where nobody's online for hours. It always has as far as I remember (usually around midday GMT), and when it is busy I guess everyone's too busy roleplaying on their time off.

Zeirum the Oft Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »

I apologize, I read your reply at work the other day and didn't have time to reply to it then (a problem I have with many communications.)   And I didn't want to reply on my phone because well, I'm sure that you know.

To be honest, with most interactions taking place on the site itself, and with groups probably using Discord and IMs of various kinds to organise roleplay (since you can scroll back and read older messages from when you weren't online in the group at least on Discord), a forum these days has... a lot less impact and use. Could also be that people have set up Facebook groups as well (I don't use facebook).

I hadn't even thought of things like Discord but I think you've got it with things like that and Facebook.  I see a lot of benefits there over this place.  They give you notifications, not to mention being able to see the backlog of communication.  Yeah,  I think you're right there.

To be honest the old forums weren't exactly all that bustling either. There really was just a small group of particular users who made use of them in any meaningful capacity and frequency and once they left the site, nobody replaced them.

It seemed like it was bustling to me, but I imagine that it wasn't the case.  And even if it was, It might have been that small group making it seem like it was.  It wouldn't take very many people.  Other things would also feed into the discussion that are now less or gone.  Y'know, things like the chat feeding into the quotes thread or just into discussion of chat loves and hates.  Hmm.

Well, it was nice while it lasted.
And I guess we still have the Wayback Machine.
And I'm discovering that the forum still makes a decent distraction for those times when your girlfriend is playing Fallout and you want to play Fallout but can't.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Needs pie. No pie. No community.

Zeirum the Oft Confused

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:06:27 PM »

Needs pie. No pie. No community.

π

Will this suffice?