Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Pull List  (Read 20051 times)

topazthespaz

• View Profile
Re: The Pull List
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 07:32:42 AM »

https://www.humblebundle.com/books (For those transformers fans out there, and for Walking dead fans https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »

Finished Original Sin, and while I like Aaron on Thor this might be one of the most drawn out and fairly pointless "event" stories I've ever read. Just no real payoff to me.

Future's End month has started over in DC, with each book jumping five years into the future for one issue, and in the first week I'd say of the 12 I read of them where pretty darned good, Phantom Stranger, Grayson and Action Comics being the not so good. Grayson was just a dud , it was a blatent "this is how it will not happen" you don't for a second believe it will play out like that, Stranger was just a beat goes on story more or less, and my problem with Action was it seemed to portray Superman really out of character as a quitter and feeling sorry for himself while others suffer due to his lack of effort .

Darth Ragerade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »

The fact that Nightwing is no more and that he's now a secret agent since his Dick Grayson identity has been outed, which thanks to the New 52 means that Bruce Wayne is safe for odd reasons even though at the beginning of New 52 they were all taking a portrait together, still feels off to me.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:01 AM »

Well, honestly in the New 52 I think secret identities in general are a little better known ,it seems like more people know all the hero's than in the old days. Gordon has hinted at least that he knows about most of Gothams including Bruce and his own daughter Barbra being Batgirl, so has Bullock. Hush, the Joker and Lex Luthor have figured it out. Flash's girl friend knows, Lois Lane and Lana Lang both know Clark is Superman. Just to name few. I think the only reason Bruce's hasn't been publicly outted by anyone is lack of actual proof.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »

Comics are getting better again, strangely enough to me it seems that some sort of cycle ended or began seeing as some books that where bad are suddenly good again, while some that where great seems to have cooled off.

Events in general seem better lately. Over at DC you have the weeklies, Future's End, Batman Eternal all three of which are pretty entertaining. Future's End took a while to come around but now that all the pieces are coming together it's pretty interesting, Batman Eternal has been good to great from the world go. World's End is a bit on the dark and grim side, the bad guys are kicking ass hard core but at least the art and action are exciting to me.

They also have Godshead, the crossover between the Lantern books and the New Gods might be the best crossover there since the Sinestro Wars .

Over at Marvel, Axis is the best big event in years, it moves fast and has plenty of real time action instead of standing around talking and flash backs . Will it matter after it ends or just be over shadowed if not erased by the next big event like so many in the past?

And both DC and Marvel seem to have something HUGE lined up for the coming summer. With DC it's Convergence where we will see the old DC and New 52 as well as other continuities and time line all come together. At Marvel, it's Secret Wars , apparently something as company wide as the New 52 was for DC.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

Oh, and Scalped. I'm up to the fifth trade in this old Vertigo series by Jason Aron, a crime noir story set on a Reservation. Be warned, it is Dark, Grity, and very very violent and adult themed but it might be as good or better than anything in the comic noir arena I've ever read, as good as Fatale, The Fade Out or even Criminal.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »

So, the new big thing is the upcoming Marvel Event, called Secret Wars.

In one breath they tell us it's the death of the Marvel Universe and in the next breath, swear it isn't a reboot.  But if you read the articles and interviews, the latter of which is an exercise and lesson in how to be vague and not actually reveal anything concrete, the more they say it isn't a reboot......the more it sounds like a reboot.

I won't clutter this up with a billion links to all the articles and interviews, those are easily found on comic and pop culture sites for everyone, but I am interested to know what other comic fans think.

Over at DC the summer event Convergence seems very similar, when all timelines and alternate continuities get collected in one place at one time  and meshed together before they come out the other side.Is this another big reboot from DC, possibly combining the best of pre and post New 52 into a hybrid, or just a soft fix to some of the issues the New 52 seems to have suffered continuity wise?

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »

So, I got the free preview from Marvel for their "Not a reboot just starting all the books over different with new 1st issues)) today.
shall I go down the list?

Invincible Iron Man-Not a huge Bendis fan, and from what the concept art captions tell us, they've turned Ironman into .....a mighty morphin power ranger suit . PASS

A-Force- Not for me, nothing against female characters or books, but this seems like pure gimmick to me.((A lot of these books do for that matter.))PASS.

All New All Different Avengers- Not big on the cast, Thor is the only one I'm a die hard fan of. The others are all pretty so so to me, Vision and Nova I like somewhat . But it is Waid, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt . BITE .

Uncanny Avengers- Like Spidey and Cap, too familiar with the writer or artist . The rest of the line up leaves me cold, but who is the female in front ? PASS .

New Avengers- Not familiar with the creative team again, is that Wican next to Hulkling? Is that Hope with the orange hair?-PASS.

Ultimates- Same writer, who is the girl in the red hood behind Captain Marvel? PASS.

Doctor Strange- Not a huge fan, but I am a huge fan of Aaron's Thor, so this one is a definite . BITE!

Captain Marvel- Not familiar with the writer, not at all interested in the character. PASS

Sam Wilson, Captain America- Not Steve, never Cap to me. I'm fine with Sam as The Falcon but not interested enough for his own book-PASS

The Totally Awesome Hulk. Hulk. Pak. BITE.

The Mighty Thor- Aaron hasn't disappointed me so far with this book, sticking with it, BITE.

Scarlet Witch- Like the character, but Robinson is hit or miss for me as a writer, PASS .

Ms. Marvel- No interest . PASS

Illuminati- No thanks, PASS.

Hawkeye- I like Lemire, not a huge Hawkeye fan, MAYBE.

Antman- No interest in the book , very little in the movie. PASS.

The Vision- Big Vision fan from way back, and Tom King seems ok, BITE.

Contest of Champions- Who the blue hell is Al Ewing, for a guy I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of before he's on a lot of books. Could be an interesting concept, MAYBE.

Amazing Spiderman- Liked Slott's Spiderman so far, not a huge fan of the news/rumors that Peter will be in a mentor role while Miles is in the suit. MAYBE .

Carnage- No thanks. PASS.

Spiderwoman- Nope, PASS.

Spiderman-It is Bendis, it isn't Peter Parker-PASS.

Spider Gwen- I like the character , started to pick up the pre-SW book when I found out a Frank Castle was introduced, decided against it when it got axed for SW. PASS .

Silk- Meh, I can take or leave the character. PASS.

Spiderman 2099- Not a big fan of the character in the past, do like Peter David though......PASS.

Web Warriors-Got enough of this in Spiderverse, and Gwen has her own book for that fix, PASS.

Daredevil- Soule? Daredevil and Gambit? You have my attention sir! BITE.

GotG- I love the team,and now it has the ever lovvin Thing too... I do not love Bendis. .MAYBE

Drax- Hey, it's CM Punk and Cullen Bunn, I HAVE to give it a chance for an issue or two at least, gonna be really good or really bad. BITE.

Howard the Duck. No. A thousand times no. PASS.

Nova - I like the character, MAYBE.

Starlord- As a member of Guardians sure, alone , no. PASS.

Venom-Spaceknight- Like the character,not sure about the concept, PASS.

Howling Commandos of Shield - Holy crap this is the guy who did Half Past Danger right!?!? BITE.

Agents of Shield- Burnt out , if it was Waid style one or two issue arcs with different characters maybe, PASS.

Uncanny Inhumans- Soule is another guy I give the benefit of the doubt. BITE.

Karnak- ......it's Ellis for at least the first arc or issue or what? Not feeling it PASS.

Angela- No interest . PASS.

Squadron Supreme- Like the characters, Robinson is shaky PASS.

Extrodianary X Men- Never a huge X fan. I do like Lemire. MAYBE.

Uncanny X-Men- Like Bunn a lot, like X books a little, MAYBE.

All New Xmen- Well one thing that isn't all new or all different is the number of X books. With the other two books and writers this is one too many for me. PASS.

Old Man Logan- Lemire, Logan, BITE!

All New Wolverine- not interested enough in the character or the writer.PASS

Deadpool- At least they kept him to one solo book . For now....PASS.

So if my math is right((and it probably isn't )) that's out of a total of 47? books...
10 BITES
9 MAYBES
and
28 PASSES

Errant

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »

Any Marvel/DC/Other Novels/Collections you'd recommend?

Also the last things I've been reading (or intend to read) are the Superb IDW run of Samurai Jack, I've gotten and intend to read the first few issues of Marvels 'Darth Vader' series, and because the premise sounded cool to me (and I like Ultron and have, up until the third part, ALWAYS liked Marvel Zombies) Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies.

Got 'Original Sin' and and 'Axis' Deadpool collections to, havent read 'em yet but looking forward to doing so...

...In short I have a lot to read, shit I havent even mentioned here to!

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »

Some of the best stuff out there right now isn't Marvel or DC

Sixth Gun-Omni Press by Cullen Bunn.

The Fade Out by Image , by Ed Brubaker

Saga- Brian K Vaughn from Image as well

Velvet- Brubaker, Image

Manifest Destiny-from Image

Five Ghosts-Image

And whenever it returns, Half Past Danger

Justice Inc-The Avenger-Mark Waid, from Dynamite

Masks-Also from Dynamite, by Cullen Bunn
John Carter of Mars-Dynamite
Flash Gordon, Prince Valiant, Jungle Jim, Mandrake the Magician, and The Phantom, all from the King imprint , part of Image.

And soon to be added by Dynamite, The Shadow by Cullen Bunn

Errant

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:20 PM »

I love Saga, planning to get volume 4 when I aint got a lot of bills. The other stuff I've heard of on and off...And John Carter and Flash Gordon, yeesh, I've read the original book of John Carter and Flash Gordon I've seen the old show and movie!

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »

What I got this week.

INDY COMICS

Archie #1-Mark Waid and Fiona Staples

Star Trek/Green Lantern-The Spectrum Wars #1

MARVEL

SW-Civil War #1
SW-1872#1

DC
Red Hood and Arsenal #2
The Omega Men #2
Earth 2 Society #2
Batman #42
Batman and Superman #22
Justice League United #11
Justice League America #2

Reviews to come as I read them a time or two.

Errant

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »

Recently picked up Volume 1 of Marvel Now!'s Silver Surfer Run...Wow, that was a lot of fun to read! I hope more of that is printed beyond volume 2, 'cus I'd be down for that!

Errant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »

What I've Read lately:

Locke And Key: 9 out of ten. It got a bit wonky near the end and some things were odd, but great characters, great story, good horror, good premise and it seemed to leave room for possible follow ups or further stories, really.

Thor Volume 2, God Bomb: 8.5 out ten. Actiony, gory, good story, villain was great and art was as well. It seemed a bit rushed and the ending was anti-climatic but...this makes me wish they kept THIS 'Thor', really.

Silver Surfer Volume 2, Worlds Apart: 8.5 out of ten.  I picked up the first on a whim and loved it. Gave volume 2 a go and found it just as satisfying. Funny, serious, good wonky art, good stories, and things you'd never expect with the Surfer...Working with the Surfer. The wonky art can get confusing at times, the story is everywhere but I cant complain to much.

Southern Bastards Volume 2: 9 out of ten. Never thought I'd feel sympathy for the last chapters 'villain'. This book is INCREDIBLY good with character development and story and the art is nice. The only complaint I have is it seems to be going in the 'background to everyone' route before a 'main story' but so long as it is as good as this, I dont care at all!

Saga Volume 4: 9 out of 10. I dont need to explain it. If you know, you know, if dont? Ya dont. Stuffs really good, stuff is a little bad...This comic is Good regardless.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool: 8.5 out of Ten. This is basically a mashup of my two favorite Marvel Now! imprint and to me it delivered. Funny, good art, built on both comics strong points mashed together, its a good read. Downside is...Its the only VOlume! Jokes aside, the story doesnt make a LOT of sense and...IT sort of bothered me how Evil/Sadistic they made Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in this story, nothing to bad though.

Hawk Volume 4, LA Woman: 8.5 out of Ten. Continuing from the third story, this one follows Hawkeyes friend/sidekick Kate as she goes off to LA while Clint Barton is a bit depressed and out of it. The usual things apply to Hawkeye here: good art, good story telling, funny humor and likable characters. In terms of bad, it sort of felt like a one time throw off to the main stories involving Kate and Hawkeye, the main 'evil person' plot feels rushed and barely makes any sense and SOMETIMES when stuff is explained its...confusing.

Things I have but havent read yet:

Marvels Darth Vader 1-7: Still havent, making sure thats the end of the 'mini-series' before going off and reading it.

Animal Man Volume 4-5: Just got them, plan to read them to!

Thor, Collection 2: Refer to Animal Man Volume 4-5

All Star Western Volume 6: NEed 5 first, found six and got it to have it.

Black Science 2-6: Had it for a while, just...havent gotten to it yet.

BPRD, Volume 10: Refer to Animal Man again.

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies 2: Same as Animal man.

The rest of L'il Gothat: Same as Black Science

Batman, No Man Lands, 2-4: Same as Black Science

What I want to get/read:

East of West Collection 1: Heard good things, just need money for MEGA-BIG collection.

Saga Volume 5: Want it when it comes out!

Hawkeye Volume 5: See Saga!

SIlver Surfer Volume 3: ...See Saga!

The rest of BPRD and sequels: I've been wanting it FOREVER, got most, got all of Hellboy, need this and everything else...While waiting for more Hellboy to eventually come out.

Conan Red Sonja: I love both of these characters, when I heard of a crossover I knew I had to have it, now I need a few bucks to get the collection!

All Star Wester volume 5: To complete and be able to read the rest of the series!

Demon Knights volume 3 (or however many are left): I liked this story, it was fun and cool to me and I've wanted the rest for some time now.

Wonder Woman volume 5-6 (Or Azzerellos run): Honestly, WW new 52, while Brian was on it, is second behind All Star Western for me. Want the last parts as I have heard they're as good as the first four.

The rest of New 52's Swamp Thing: I've not heard a bad thing about this, and I got up to Rot World for the series. Do want!

The rest of Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies: See above, and put it just wanting the rest!

Howard the Duck, Volume 1: After I read the 'roast of Deadpool', I think I can legit get into Marvel Nows! iteration of Howard so I think I'mma give it a go when it comes out.

Thats about it. Any suggestions offhand from anyone?

Errant

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »

What I've Read lately:

Animal Man 4-5: Got it, read it, loved it just as much as 1-3. Mind you, the story wasnt as epic or far flung as the Rot world arc, it was filled with its great moments of drama, pacing, and action. Also helped the fifth volume had one of my favorite artists in it to! The only things I can complain about is, despite the Arc being 'important' it seemed a bit short for 'its importance', the whole 'lead up to' thing I mentioned while interesting and explaining things SCREAMED of to much Deus Ex Machina and...thats it, really. I'm sad this series only ended on 5 volumes to, really. I felt like with what was done near the end, A LOT more stories, Lemiere involved or not, could have been great, but..Aw well, it was good while it lasted. 9/10

Thor, big collection 2: Continuing after the EPIC God Bomb story, I really liked this collection. The whole 'dark King of the Dark Elves' arc reminded me of a high fantasy type of DnD thing in a good way, the future implications (Though chastised do to 'Lady-Thor') are epic and could've led to great things and the story after was...good despite being a bit confusing. Also, future and past Thor mini-stories were a nice little addition and the art, superb like usual. Downsides I could think of are thanks to the 'change' half of this shit wont even be as great as it could have been. The second arc, involving some demon politically as I said...is confusing and sometimes makes no sense (Really? Thor, the God of lightning and Thunder cant just hammer this fuck in the face?), the inbetween stuff can be a bit confusing to (and basically TELLS you what the fuck is gonna happen, regardless of 'new' stuff or not)  but other then that and other little things? It was great. 9/10

BPRD 10 and Hellboy and the BPRD 1952: Putting them in the same category 'cus the stories basically intercept. BPRD 10 is...basically leading up to the huge thing that anyone who has read the series knows is gonna happen, Apocolyptic war of species involving the occult, science, and monsters all around, while Hellboy and the BPRD is basically a prequel to EVERYTHING involving the Hellboy-verse and its just a fun actiony gory good time on all ends. The faults and advantages go hand and hand here: Mignolia and others works go hand in hand and is great like usual, the dialogue is simple but gets the point across like the other stories involving all this, action is action and is good and the build up to future tidings is as good as it has ever been! The bad I can think of is, well, if you havent read a good chunk or Most of the other stuff correlating with these stories, you might be lost, for some reason Hellboys thing was two bucks MORE then BPRD despite being the same in terms of issues gathered and amongst other tid bits, the pacing is slow! Would still recommend, especially Hellboy as its a prequel to most things!. 8.5/10 for both.

Conan Red Sonja: So I did pick this up and it was as fun and bloody as I thought it was. Basically this one particular story revolves around an inter-dimensional plant being gathered by Thoh Amon, and evil Sorcerer of Conan and Sonjas land and...to put it bluntly he spreads it when getting it, it kills/absorbs people via spam spreading and blood draining, Conan and Sonja team up over the years of their lives to stop him. Its fun, its actiony, the characters are awesome and its bloody. Theres not much more be said, its just a good fun crossover that, considering they are BOTH in the same world, both 'heroes' should do more often, especially with the writers. The only downside is, personally for me, while ALL this was happening in the story the phrase 'JUST FUCK ALREADY!!!' never left my mind while reading it...neither did the scorn when they teased it like, ten times and it almost happened but DIDNT. Regardless, good read, good art, good mini-story, looking forward to seeing more, possibly! 9/10

All Star Western, Volume 5: So I just got this in an order from Amazon. Still as great as 1-4, the character development, art, and overall branching story (as ludicrous as a Cowboy in modern times can sound) is good, and somehow adding brief showings of Constantine, Swamp Thing, AND Superman (along with cameos by Bruce Wayne/Batman) actually added to the story rather then derail and detract from it. I cant really complain much about this series, reading this volume reminded me why its my number one in terms of New 52 stories and...I'm just sad to see it go really. The only complaint I have personally is the art seems to change time to time and makes it confusing but other then that, Western fan or not, it is a really good read.

Swamp Thing volume 4: Continuing from Rot world, the lack of Scott Snyder in this volume does not mean its disappointing at all. The arts still great, the stories and new enemies/intrigue and while I could of done without the Anton Arcane thing (because I already had the fucking Single issue during the 'Villains' month thing from a while ago), it was still great and shows to me why Swamp thing was my number 3 of new 52 titles. 9/10

Scalped 1, Indian Country: So I remember vaguely hearing good things about this in one of the comic stores I went to A LONG time ago. IT helps it is in the Vertigo print to which is just an awesome Comic producer so naturally, when I saw it was on sale at a local book place for 5 bucks I gave it a shot. It was worth it, long story short. So far, from what I read, its going a 'modern Cowboy/western' tale of violence sex and 'drugs' and revolves around an Indian reservation. Good book, good read, hope more of it winds up at that story! 8.5/10

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies 2: Fun, bloody, actiony and a mini-story that makes sense yet does not delude from the pacing. Art is good, dialogue is to, and outside of being (and having tones) of a mini series and...Magneto of the Zombie-Verse still being alive (if you've read Marvel Zombies, you'll understand why this is odd) its a good fun little read. 8/10

Things I have but havent read yet:

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies 3: Just got it, gonna read soon.

Superior SpiderMan, Big Volume 2-3: I just got both volumes and to be honest, Doc Ock was the BEST fricken thing to happen to Spider Man in YEARS. Fuck modern day Peter Parker, long live Superior Spider Man!!!!

East West, Big Volume 1: ...Again, see above, heard good things, just got it plant o read it soon.

BPRD Volume 11-12: Just got them, plan to read them soon...even if there are more volumes and the whole '40's era' series to go with it.

Star Wars, Darth Vader: 1-8: I dont know why, I dont know how, but I keep getting these but havent read them yet. I should I know but...Bah!

Wonder Woman 5-6: Brian Azzerallo Run. Just got them, I guess plotting the day/time to read them, as weird as that sounds.

Swamp Thing 5-7: I actuall got 5-6 when I got 4 (and seven doesnt come out for a while), just havent had a chance to read them yet.

Blankets: I've seen this thick 'Self Styles Graphic Novel' around for a while and I saw it for cheap on a bargain book store. Picked it up for the hey and decided to give it a whirl when I have the energy to.

All Star Wester Volume 6: Plan to read it soon, just wanted to read 5 first. Glad I did!

Li'l Gotham and No mans Land and Black Science 2-6: Same as before, just waiting for the right mindset and time and what have you!

Deadpool kills Deadpool and Deadpool vs Carnage: I love me anything Marvel Now! Related deadpool, and I got both of these for cheap/on sale. Plan to read soon!

The Punisher MAX, as by Jason Aaron: I just ordered this, waiting for it to arrive. Its gonna be good, just by the 'universe' and I trust Aaron with this kinda shit, despite having to fill Garth Ennis' shoes.

What I want to get/read:

The Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest Ominbus': Heard good things about this particular Marvel drama, and the only thing stopping me from getting them is lack of money. When I do though, plant to get 'em both!

Fury, MAX: Set in the same world where Punisher MAX takes place, only with Fury? By Garth Ennis? Gimme gimme gimme!

Marvel Now! Hawkeye, Volume 4: Its out, need to find it or order it. Will get it regardless sometime.

Underwater Welder: I heard of this little book, saw it in store and...just havent gotten it yet. Seems interesting!

Anything I have mentione dbefore but wasnt on the 'review' or 'Got it, havent read it' yet: Yadda yadda, reason and title explains itself, ya?

Top 10's: So I like lists, I like comics. Some of these may be repeats (That have been altered due to time) some might be new, but I just wanna add a flair, so to start off with something EVERYONE knows (and without further excessive explanation, just the things!):

Top 10 versions of Batman:

1. Batman the Animated Series, season 1-3
2. Azrael Batman (Knightfall)
3. General known/moder comic Storyling Batman
4. Animated Batman from season 4, Justice League, et el
5. Frank Millers Batman, pre Dark Knight strikes again/All Star Batman
6. First through seventies version of batman
7. Batman Beyond
8. Arkham game series Batman
9. Dick Grayson/Nightwing Batman
10. Batman the Brave and the bold
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5