Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Pull List  (Read 19813 times)

DMD

• View Profile
The Pull List
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »

Starting over from scratch, or at least until the old forums come back, when or if they do!

DMD

• View Profile
Re: The Pull List
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »

Just to cover what I read recently, ongoing , big events, and new books

Original Sin 3 of 8

It's a decent "who done it " with a whacky main cast of b or c list characters thrown together in odd pairings and teams, both the heroes and the villians, but over all while well if not great writing and above average art with a one big twist so far it's moving a little slow for me, and honestly so far most if not all of the big"sins" don't feel all that big for the characters they involve.

I mean, for someone like Thor who's faced the end of everything more times than he can shake his hammer at, is finding out  he has a sister his father never told him about all that big compared to some of the other things Odin has laid on him over the years?  The same with Spiderman finding out the spider bit someone else, are these things even anything or them to feel fault or shame about?

Over at DC you have Future's End and Batman Eternal.

Future's End is struggling in the first 4 issues, the cast and various plots are all over the place and just not moving along very well or fast so far. And the cast for the most part are characters and ideas from failed and canceled books that didn't go over the first time on their own. And it's all set five years in the future in a possible future. It might get better , it needs to.

Batman Eternal is better, it's a decent of slow moving story about yet another gang war and growing supernatural threat all built around the framing of Jim Gordon and the turning of the police against Batman. In other words, nothing new. Who knows, it might be before it's over but so far it's just ok, not great.

Aran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

I'm loving the new Iron Fist and Moon Knight runs. Those are definitely welcome additions to my list. I picked up the first three issues of Iron Patriot. I don't really know what to think. I want to like it, but I don't think I'm going to.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »

I like Iron Fist but Moonknight is just all over the place to me, no two issues connect or have anything in common to me. I also LOVE the new Elektra series and Incredible Hulk

Aran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »

I'm good with that sort of story design. Hawkeye did this for a while before going into a coherent storyline. I like how fucked up some of the issues are.

A Turtle

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:03:37 AM »

That Samurai Jack running series from IDW is still pretty damn good itself, its one  of the only ongoing series I get by the single issue...

...Also, considering picking up Locke and KEy since I heard REALLY good things from a few reviews.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »

Locke and Key is great, I read it in trade and am waiting for the last one

A Turtle

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 02:50:55 AM »

I'll have to check it out then...

Rom Spaceknight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »

I'm super behind on everything, so I'm taking a short break from new comics to read this

One of the best comics of the 80s.

I'm loving the new Iron Fist and Moon Knight runs. Those are definitely welcome additions to my list. I picked up the first three issues of Iron Patriot. I don't really know what to think. I want to like it, but I don't think I'm going to.

You're gonna have to drop Moon Knight soon, Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey are leaving and Brian Wood is coming aboard :'(

Aran

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »

Why would they change writers so quickly on a reboot? Put noteworthy writers on a reboot just to get readers then pull them off after people are hooked?

Rom Spaceknight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 04:03:28 AM »

Why would they change writers so quickly on a reboot? Put noteworthy writers on a reboot just to get readers then pull them off after people are hooked?

Because Warren Ellis doesn't stay on corporate projects very long, especially when he has a bunch of creator owned stuff coming up. I'm not surprised he's leaving. My problem is that they replaced him with Captain Harassment.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »

This week I enjoyed

Green Lantern - The Uprising crossover between it and Green Lantern Corps has been surprisingly good . Focuses on the GLs and their role as intergalactic policemen/peace keepers while evil shape shifting aliens the Duralans try to turn the galaxy against them and gain the power of the Daxams for themselves forever.

Earth 2- The alternate Earth Justice Society has been a good read from the first to the current. Alternate takes on familiar faces is really interesting.

Thor- Just remains my favorite book out there.

Punisher-Suprisingly good .

New Warriors- My favorite out of the last wave of Now from Marvel, it's everything a teen-tween superhero team book should be.

Biggest disappointment was Original Sin, this thing started off cool and went nowhere , another " Nick Fury is doing stuff no one else knows about "story. I've stuck with it for 5 of 8 issues so I'll ride it out but it's hard to believe Arron writes this and Thor.

topazthespaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Fairly impressive comic collection through humble bundle. Sadly for those fans of having the actual copies they are all Ebooks only. Still a few good reads int here, me personally I'm excited about the Green hornet books since I've been wanting to get my hands on that for a quite a bit now.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »

I just finished Batman-Zero Year today. As much as I like the Riddler as  a character  and as good as the last quarter of the story was, it didn't need to be a 12 issue story arc.

A Turtle

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »

Anyone had a chance to read Southern Bastards? I got the first two but I'm..just curious.

Also, outside of Li'l Gotham and Marvel Now!'s Deadpool, havent been able to pick up much (and even the stuff I mentioned was from a while ago), I need monies for things x_X
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5