Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Pull List  (Read 11209 times)

DMD

• View Profile
Re: The Pull List
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »

I saw these lists on Newsarama today, man there's a lot of comic movies and shows coming . ANd some pretty cool looking fantasy and scyfy non comic book stuff too!

http://www.newsarama.com/30432-the-full-comic-book-television-release-schedule.html

http://www.newsarama.com/21815-the-new-full-comic-book-superhero-movie-schedule.html

http://www.newsarama.com/29612-the-full-sci-fi-fantasy-live-action-movie-release-schedule.html

I really don't understand how Bay Watch ended up on that last list...

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »

What I read this week, as I read them!

Kamandi Challenge- From DC, it's  12 part mini-series and a nod to the king, King of Comics that is , Jack Kirby! A far future where a lone human boy awakens to find him self surrounded by the advanced animal tribes who overtook humanity after The Great Calamity .Written and drawn by two different teams each month, and each month the two part story ends with a  cliff hanger that the next team must figure a way out of, while setting up another cliffhanger ending for the next month and team!! It has talking tigers and apes, rats, plant clone people, all the camp that made the 50-60s great!

Conan The Slayer-From Darkhorse Comics  Written by Cullen Bunn.
Not a lot I can say about a Conan book, if you like Conan in general or sand and sandal fantasy /pulp action in general you'll probably like this one. What I will say, is I think Cullen Bunn has hit his stride again with this book. Maybe his best stuff since Sixth Gun and Harrow Co.,. He seems to write the offbeat fantasy/adventure/horror better than pure superhero books .

Batman/The Shadow-DC and Dynamite comics working together for this crossover mini. Written by Scott Snyder and Steve Orlando, perhaps two of if not the hottest two writers in demand on the circuit right now.

It starts off with a murder in Gotham, a very strange one of course. Batman investigates of course, meets The Shadow, of course. They fight, of course, Shadow puts the whammy on Batman and escapes , of course. Pretty basic hero meets hero for the first time. It gets more interesting when through the course of investigating the victim, and the apparent killer, Batman meets some of the Shadow's living former friends and co-adventures while trying to determine how the Shadow himself is alive and apparently unaged. It leads Bruce back to one of his own early trainers in a remote mountain location(( of course,)) by the name of Ducard, the man a young Bruce considered the greatest Manhunter to ever live, who apparently reveals himself to be none other than, THE SHADOW HIMSELF .

It was a good start. Apparently they're really going to focus on the mystical/supernatural aspect of The Shadow, and I find it really interesting he might have played a role in helping create Batman himself! 

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere this was the first meeting of the two characters, something I find kind of odd and hard to believe hasn't happened before in comics somewhere...

X-Men Blue-Marvel-Cullen Bunn.
Only the second issue, and I might let this one go. To me the weaker of the two X-book re-launches , this one is already back to where the pre-re-launch books where, the time displaced original 5 X-Men this time, working with Magneto(( their behind the scenes benefactor )) to protect Mutant Kind and by the end of the second issue Magneto is already plotting behind their backs to send them back in time to their original time line and reality. Because as revealed last issue, these original X-Men teens aren't the mainstream Marvel-verses original X-Teens because those are still in the past where they belong. And the X-Teens already trust but don't really trust him either....

I said before I don't think Bunn writes basic full on superhero comics as well as his other off beat work, but a lot of it in this book in my opinion isn't even his fault. Stuck with a convoluted backstory and continuity to say the least, and a LOT of character baggage to say the least, the book feels like more of the same X-stories from the last 5 years or so where they spend more time working with their own former enemies, and fighting and or bickering more with each other, other heroes, or their own mental and emotional states. Meh I say, meh.

X-Men Gold from Marvel -Mark Guggenhiem.

Also in it's second issue, and the stronger X Book, for my tastes. The opening arc is called "Back to Basics" and so far it's just that, a squad of the....original New X-Men(( Kitty Pryde, Rachel Summers, Logan, Nightcrawler , Storm and Collosus)) fighting bad guys and public opinion!

The first two issues is a new take on an old classic , A new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants made of up new people using the names and costumes of old either dead, depowered or both old X enemies(( Pyro, Avalanche, Mesmero and the Morlock Masque,, along with one new creature like thatI think is either a Brood hybrid or the new Syron, and a former X-Man Magma. With some apparent sinister bigger bad behind them. A new X-cutioner, and anti mutant group with a public media spokes person waiting in the rings, and even a cameo by Shield and the soon to be revealed traitorous Steve Rodgers! Old school fights, Old Man Logan being Old School bad ass Wolverine with cheesy one liners , it actually feels like the comic is going back to what made the New X Men cool and interesting!

The Mighty Thor-Marvel-Jason Aaron

Many know, Thor is my all time favorite comic character. What many may or may not know, is the current Thor is not my, or your grandfather's Thor. Since Aaron took the book over, Odinson found himself unworthy in Orignal Sin, and the hammer found a new wielder in the cancer stricken and dying Jane Foster!

Even though she isn't "my "Thor, I still love this book. She's the current Thor for reasons and themes, and even the hammer has changed. It's living thinking immortal space storm to end all storms trapped in the hammer, actually thank you very much! That's the kind of cosmic fantasy over the top Thor story we haven't seen since Kirby or Walt Simone.

The current arc, The Asgard .Shi'ar War is a brief break in the ongoing War of the Nine Realms, but has a slight connection(( Maliki and Loki duped Shi'ar gods)). Duped them into what you ask? Attacking Asgard, kidnapping Thor and challenging her to a formal Contest of the Gods. That ended this issue, Thor won because she done something no god before her has, inspired other gods to fight for her cause when the other Asgardians pro and con Jane-Thor came riding to her rescue, regardless if she needed it or not. But it isn't over yet, in a sore loser last gasp, the Shi'ar gods summoned and unleashed.....wait for it.....wait for it....did you guess the Phoenix Force, because they unleashed the primal god form of the indeed, Phoenix Force. Without a host, it will BURN THE COSMOS to ashes, gods and mortals alike! So now, Asgard , the Shi'ar Empire and one irritating , annoying, and as Thor herself put it surly young X Man and future host of the PF(( if there is a future to host it in)) make a last stand!

Even though the Jane as Thor and War of the Realms feels like it's starting to overstay it's welcome, this is still the kind of balls to the wall epic cosmic action and humor comics just don't have enough of anymore!

Suicide Squad -DC-Rob Williams

As I mentioned , I started reading for the JL crossover, and kept reading for the decent over the top action and random deaths and maiming of minor characters . This arc, Earthlings on Fire starts with the team breaking into Lex Corps vault, while Amanda herself keeps Lex busy upstairs by trying to out manipulate and intimidate one another. They're there to get kryptonite, so they can put a brain bomb in their newest captive and inductee into the Squad, Zod. After fighting mercenary security, giant robots and Bizarro clones, turns out all they had to do was ask, Lex even tried to give the rock to the Wall as a guest right from the get go. This issue also seemed to focus on just how crazy powerful Enchantress can be, she uses one spell to teleport them in, one to cut communications and one to turn the team undead to fool the giant robot , and one to release a demonic computer virus into the systems when Lex shows up himself , before he you know, gives them what they came with to begin with. In the mean time, we get to see Captain Boomerang lose an arm in the teleport, decline the demon arm Enchantress wants to replace it with, and HQ bites Lex on his bald head. All kinds of bad things always happen to Boomerang, and they couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I get the feeling when HQ finds out he killed her number one fan and rookie innocent member of the team a couple issues ago, even worse things might happen to him! And that's including Zod already killing him once! And what could go wrong with trying to blackmail a captive insane evil version of Superman? It isn't a greatly written book, but the over the top action and comedy make it an entertaining one.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps-DC-Robert Venditti

The current status quo has the Green and Yellow Lantern Corps working together, one of each in each space sector as one Corps. How that came to be and how it plays out is what makes the book interesting. In the current arc, Rip Hunter arrives with a warning from the future that the villain Sarko will erase the GLs from the future, and it happens TODAY. Meanwhile, aa embattled Green and Yellow duo meet the villain in question, who claims to be in the present to save the Yellow Corps. And he brought minions, prism beasts that apparently power rings have no effect on. At the end, even as Rip earns the trust of John Stewart and the others, the swarm heads to Dual Corps HQ the living planet and GL Mogo, where Hal Jordan heads into orbit to be the first line of offense and defense, to absolutely no effect...

The ideas and stories are good, the writer's dialogue is terrible in my opinion. A little too tough guy macho man and college jock like with Hal Jordan, a little too dorky sidekick when it comes to Kyle Rayner. He does decent with John , and the vast majority of lesser players, only because they seem to just be so one dimensional he can't mess them up. The only characters he seems to write well are Guy Gardner, Kilowog and their Yellow counterparts, all of whom come across especially in Guy's case as John Wayne or Mike Ditka with a power ring.

Over all the interesting concepts and stories drown out the sometimes cringe and groan worthy lines , and it still remains the stronger of the two GL books even if this issue was probably tied with X-Men Blue as the weakest read of the week so far.

Action Comics-DC-Dan Jurgens

After Reborn, Superman has been taking a two issue walk down memory lane in the Fortress trying to use memory crystals to determine if there's been tampering with his memories of his own past or reality like Mtlyzplx claimed . As he does, he and only hears a voice telling him to "consider the long game". At the end, when all seems well the mysterious Mr. Oz appears and attacks Clark, warning him he deals with forces beyond him be it on his own or with his allies support. Clark flies off to check on the safety of his family , meanwhile the new Henshaw forms the Superman Revenge Squad...

As the aftermath of Superman Reborn that ran between Action and Superman, which while entertaining was a fairly convoluted and heavy handed merging of pre and post 52 and Rebirth Superman(s) It did it's job, this two issue filler arc did it's to set up the Revenge Squad upcoming arc.  As it stands from the memory crystals for now, it seems most if not all of Post Superman continuity happened, the best I could understand it all. So did the New 52, it just happened to New Superman while Clark was in hiding and working in the shadows while raising his family.

If you like old school semi-dense comics with subplots and a lot of dialogue, exposistion,  and long played out subplots , Dan is the writer for you. It isn't great but it isn't terrible, and I think he gets the voice , inner and audible of Clark Kent about as well as anyone who's ever written the character.

Detective Comics-DC-James Tynion IV

The current arc has the Bat Family going up against the League of Shadows to save Gotham and the surrounding area from a bomb triggered collapse into ruin. And losing . After being injured by her mother Lady Shiva, the leader of the Shadows, Orphan((better known as one of the Batgirls to pre-New52/Rebirth fans)) Cassandra Kaine receives medical care and inspiration from one of the ballet dancers she watches from the shadows of the building where she lives.  Even injured, she manages to fight her way single handed through wave after wave and legions of League ninja assassins to free Batman and the others and confront her mother , even as Bat Woman's father and his para-military organization prepare to save Gotham from the League themselves by releasing a nano-chemical weapon into the caverns below the city and kill everyone, Bat Family included!

The arc and story is pretty entertaining if not original. I mean it pretty much copied the Dark Knight replacing the League of Assassins with the Shadows and fear gas and a train with a bomb. This issue was a little too morale "you can be anyone or thing you want to be"heavy in the inner script of a children's book read to Casandra by the dancer who helped her. And Casandra herself is a little too Mary Sue for my tastes. I mean already injured she takes on dozens of trained killers on her own with apparent ease? I don't mind someone other than Bats himself saving the day, but when the entire freed (( and somehow in costume )) considering they where naked and chained team confronts Shiva along side Orphan it feels a little too "power of friendship overcomes all" to me.

Still a solid read, I'm interested to see what comes after this arc, we already saw a Bat Woman arc, a Spoiler centric arc, and now Orphan, I think that leaves Clayface, Batwing or Azrael? Have I mentioned how badly it bugs me just how MANY sidekicks Batman has these days?

Justice League America- DC- Steve Bloom.

A lot of people say Bloom is one of the best writers out there today. I few say he's the most overrated. I think he's somewhere in the middle. One thing about it, so far with the second arc, Heart of the Bastich starting, he seems to get how to do a team book. A couple pages to set the adventure up, introduce the villain, let the heroes plan go to hell right off the bat, build a little tension between team members along the way. End with a standoff.

The new villain Argeus builds weapons based on folklore and mythology and has a merc army to use them. He's taken over an entire town that agreed to sell out to him in order to get out of poverty and realized what he was too late.

Lobo has taken Guy Gardner's place as "member who bumps heads with Bats" Black Canary has resumed her role as "member who questions Batman and his methods sometimes"

Vixen is the team leader and face. Her press conference and a couple other scenes with where a little "real world problems " heavy handed writing .

Ray, Atom and Killer Frost are the rookies, Frost and Lobo are apparently redeeming themselves, by choice or corrosion by Bats in the form of a hinted deal Lobo tends to collect on .

It's a cool team with a lot of room for character growth and new stories based around the majority of them who don't have a LOT of background to retread. Canary and Vixen have been around a long time but only moderate hard core history . These versions of Frost, Ray and Atom are for all purposes bran spanking new , and Lobo is the type of character very Wolverine like with a lot of blanks in his past to be filled in.

I liked this issue, we have the inner team tension, the afore mentioned mysterious deal with Lobo who we get to see can be if not stopped at least slowed down considerably with a well thought out plan of attack by the villain. Lenarean Hyrda venom weapon for a guy with a healing factor ?

The only things I didn't like as much , not too horrible but still annoyed me where the real world social issue hitting me over the head with a hammer points in the press conference and the town people's speech when the heroes come to save them , and at the end it looks like for the second arc the Atom has gotten himself captured by not following the Bat Plan.Now, if just like the first time it turns out getting captured was all part of his own plan, if not Bat's that would be pretty weak twice in a row, but might get interesting if Bats gets tired of someone following a plan that isn't his to begin with?

After the first arc and this issue, for me at least JLA is already the better of the two League books.

And last, but not quite least.

The Button-Flash /Batman crossover part 2-DC-Joshua Williamson

I said not quite least, but I was fairly disappointed in this chapter. After Reverse Flash, attracted by the Comedian's Button in the Bat Cave attacked  before being killed in the first part, we pick up with Flash on the scene investigating the crime scene. Apparently he discovers traces of the same radiation and his own speed force energy on Reverse Flash's corpse. This leads him to leave a recovering Batman and head to the Watchtower where he plans to use the Cosmic Tread Mill to travel through time and find who killed Reverse Flash. Batman, being Batman refuses to stay in bed and knew what he was up to all along shows up at the last second and demands to go along. One time storm and several "time window" glimpses of forgotten continuity later, they land in the Batcave , but the bat cave of Thomas Wayne, Batman of the Flash Point World. Bat Dad, meet Bat Son!

It wasn't a bad story. Outside the main plot we also saw Johnny Thunder standing on the roof of the mental institution in a thunder storm of all things, calling out for his lost magical genie Thunderbolt and bemoaning the loss of the JSA and how it was all a mistake. Cool points for a JSA tease , much like the tease of the time -misplaced Saturn Girl in Arkham rambling about how the Legion of Superheroes die in the future because Superman didn't come to save them.  We also have a page where Barry Allen reflects back on Wally West talking about someone outside time waiting to attack them .

So, here we are half way through this four part event crossover, and I feel like we don't have, aren't really and closer and might not be getting any real answers to any of the Rebirth mysteries ,nothing in the first two parts have really done more than remind us of the mysteries already present , and if anything maybe raise more questions ?

Since Rebirth began, it's been speculated almost a given that the big bad tampering with time is Dr. Manhattan .But here we're reminded that Wally said "they" plural referring to whoever is outside time waiting to attack...

Apparently both the JSA and LoSH are missing lost and or dead?
 A couple things I'm hoping for, probably not by the end of this crossover but sometime between now and the end of the Rebirth mystery, is the return of the Legion and the JSA in something close to their classic editions.

Another thing that stood out as a possibility to me  after seeing Thomas-Wayne-Flashpoint-Batman here. We know there's a Bat event this summer called Dark Days and apparently it has something to do with a Bat Dictator as the bad guy, maybe said Bad Bat isn't Bruce at all but his father Thomas from Flashpoint ?

Time will tell, it's an alternate universe/continuity  time travel story mystery to begin with right?

Oh well, that's it for this week.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:50:23 AM by DMD »

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 08:21:55 PM »

Saw GoTG 2 and WW.

GoTG was alright, for some reason I just liked the first one better. Best parts where Ego the Living Planet and Yondu's roles.

Worst parts where everything centering around Starlord and Baby Groot. Gamorra, Racoon and especially Draxx in that order didn't get much character or story at all. At least Draxx got all the best lines in my opinion.

Over all it was kind of over the top "plot "wise and down right silly at time,
Still it stayed true to the "fun" of the first so I give it a 4 of 5 stars .

As for WW.

I hand it to Gail Gadot, she nailed the part attitude and character wise. I still think physically she's a little too "soft " for WW and I would have preferred that Gina (( I think))Whatshersname from the MMA and Haywire. She might be a little older than they where going for ?  Chris Pine did fine as Steve Trevor as well. Not that Trevor is a real deep character roll to pull of , but still.

The rest of the cast, pretty forgettable. The plot was ok, not super strong, not super bad, a couple plot  holes at least one, maybe two HUGE one that bugged me that can't be addressed without spoilers . Might be me but I think it could have actually used a couple more huge fight scenes somewhere along the way. The villain(s) where really subpar in my opinion as well. It did stick pretty close to the origins, both of them so I'll give it that. On the other hand, I haven't been beaten over the head with the "love conquers all/romance " hammer that hard since the first Hell Boy movie. They really laid it on thick at times. I did actually like how they addressed the humorous idea of a 20 something from an all female society suddenly meeting her first man and following him  back to the modern world in several scenes.

So for Gadot and Pine's performance, the sticking to source material , what humor there was and not overdoing that or getting too sophomoric , and what action scenes there where being decently done , I give it 3 1/2 stars.
I take 1 1/2 stars away for just going way overboard with the "power of love" theme and weak, reallyweak forgettable villains and supporting cast and at least to me at least one HUGE plot hole .

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]