Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Because the Keep and the World Need It!  (Read 4452 times)

DMD

• View Profile
Because the Keep and the World Need It!
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:35:05 AM »

Wrestling!

DMD

• View Profile
Re: Because the Keep and the World Need It!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »

So Seth Rollins has turned his back on the Shield....

Not sure how I feel about it, I guess the split had to come sooner or later. I think it could have been booked be or more organically if they split and feuded with each other out of jealousy of each other's individual success or lack there of, possibly with one of them holding the IC or US belt. Honestly I think Ambrose would make a much better heel than Rollins as well.

A Turtle

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:15:32 AM »

Admittedly I havent watched any wrestling lately, but...I heard about that turn, unless I missed something important...it seems STUPID they did it so suddenly.

A Turtle

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:02:32 AM »

...I think in general I might give wrestling a break, until Daniel Bryan comes back, at least...which could be anywhere from soon to...Later on.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:09 PM »

Raw this Monday was the best since Mania, maybe since the Mania of last year. Raw is Jericho again , Aj returned, tension built between Roman Regins, HHH, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose and Jack Swagger turned face to take on Rusev!

A Turtle

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:43:16 PM »

...I'mma stay away from Wrestling for a while :/ I miss DB.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »

TNA has really turned things around an up several notches the last few weeks. It started with Kurt Angle becoming the Director of Wrestling, and Bobby Lashley as a credible champion. Add the reforming of  both Team 3D and Hardy in the team division. I strongly suggest anyone burnt out on the WWE and who wants a slightly better produced show than ROH give TNA another chance.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »

since I suck at predicting football, I'll try it at wrestling pay per views!

Night of Champions

Tag Team Championship-Usos vs the Dust Brothers

I take the Dust Brothers.

Mark Henry vs Russev-

I'll go with Russev, as much as I want Henry to win I don't think they've built and booked the Russian this strong to lose to a guy knocking on retirement's door.

Diva Championship- Paige vs AJ vs Nikki Bella

I think Nikki wins and goes on to feud with her sister, Bri**shrudder at the thought of that** AJ will do something with Stephanie, it kind of leaves Paige out in the cold, but who knows she might join the Authority, or in a twist AJ joins the Authority and they continue to feud with Paige as a face? Either way, Bella wins the belt.

Ziggler vs Mizz for the IC belt

I think Ziggler retains, he's finally getting the push he's deserved forever and is a lot more over than Mizz could get as a face or heel, even though I think he's making this Hollywood gimmick work pretty well.

US title Sheamuss vs Cesaro.

Tough call on this one, both guys are great workers, and every time you think Cesaro is gonna get a push they seem to drop the ball, but Sheamuss is both over and pretty popular back stage with HHH.......I'll still stick with one of my personal favorites and say Cesaro!

Reigns vs Rollins- Rollins. Reigns winning on Raw almost guaranteed it, and if they put Reigns over the MIB guy two matches in a row it makes no sense. I can see Rollins possibly trying to cash in the briefcase to have it spoiled by a returning Ambrose later in the night, or Ambrose might get Reigns dqed in their match .

Jericho vs Orton.
Orton, Jericho is taking some time off and Orton is on a big losing streak, he needs something strong to put him back in the title hunt, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Punt for the win or after the match to Jericho to bring The Legend Killer back .

Lesnar vs Cena

Lesnar. It won't be as one sided as last time, Vince protects Cena too much for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cena is written off tv for a while this time via "injury" since they're piling up on him in real life, and I think he has another movie coming up as well.
Look for him back around Rumble time .

Lesnar will hold the title to Mania, where either Reigns or a returning Rock will take it off him.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »

So, I just watched WrestleMania !
And here are my thoughts,(( such as they may be )) match by match and the show over all(( all seven hours of it including the preshow...)). Just for fun, I'll give each match a chair shot rating of one chair shot up to five chair shots!

I had to edit this due to only being allowed 10 emotes in a post :(

The Pre-Show

30+Man Over the Top Rope Andre the Giant Battle Royale

Not much to say, it's a way of getting all the undercard guys on the show and a paycheck bonus for Mania. Not much you can do with that many people in the ring at one time work wise. Especially considering the size of some of the contestants like Bigshow, Mark Henry, Braun Strowman and a couple others at over 6 feet and well over 300lbs they take up more than their fair share of ring space all on their own. The winnder, Mojo Rawly was somewhat of a surprise, it might be due to his friendship with Gronk of the New England Patriots? Gronk himself got involved in the match briefly, after Jindarh Mahal threw a drink in his face. This was despite the "security," consisting of one female employ who wasn't even dressed as a security guard and a couple refs feeble and ineffective attempts (( asking him nicely not to get involved and return to his seat.)) Because asking nicely works so well in professional wrestling...especially against an NFL superstar who was bigger than everyone "trying to restrain him" combined...or maybe wrestling security is just the most inept peace keeping force this side of the UN? There where a couple of Nxt stars involved, neither of which names I can remember or for that matter anything they did in the match. In years past, winning this has meant next to nothing for the superstar who does so, and I can't see Mojo making it past a halfhearted push to lower mid card status off of it, much like Cesaro and Baron Corbin before him.

I give it one chair shot for the semi-surprising winner!

Next on the Pre-Show was

The Intercontinental Championship Match with Dean Ambrose defending against Baron Corbin.

The match was decent, Corbin seems to be making his "lone wolf outsider biker tough guy " gimmick work despite his young age(( most lone wolves tend to be a little older before they decide they hate everyone or everyone decides they hate them?)) Dean has been on a mediocre title run with the IC title, this being his first feud and only second defense since winning it from Mizz who he defeated again in a rematch several months ago. The buildup was lackluster, considering it wasn't even featured on the last go home Smackdown show before Mania . It consisted of Corbin attacking Ambrose with a forklift and injuring his ribs and taking him off tv for two weeks before Ambrose distracted Corbin during a match with Randy Orton upon his return costing him the match and delivering a Dirty Deeds before excepting the match at Mania. In ring work was decent if not great, Dean basically never sold the injured ribs that the commentary insisted upon reminding us of every 90 seconds however, and won with a Dirty Deeds "out of nowhere" in what seemed like a rushed finish to me. I don't know if the crowd was losing interest or if the preshow time was running out but it made no sense, considering Corbin had the push and momentum coming in and Dean seemed to be just treading water . I think it devalued the IC title to have it on the preshow to begin with, and the odd ending even more so.

So I give it 2 chair shots on in ring work alone.

WrestleMania Itself

The kickoff match was-

Smackdown General Manager Shane McMan vs AJ Styles.

I have to say, this might have been THE surprise match of the night. Shane is a part time late 40s early 50s non wrestler with a reputation as a daredevil, risk taker and never say die attitude with a penchant for spots and stunts to cover up his lack of actual in ring ability .He actually held his own(( or was he carried to a better than average match?)) by AJ Styles, possibly one of if not the best in ring performers in wrestling right now. The match went longer than expected and had more actual chain and catch as catch can style wrestling than I think anyone expected. It did however have a "ref bump" period where the ref went and stayed down long enough for both guys to use foreign objects(( and a back up ref to be shuttled in from the next county over for that matter )) . The garbage can spots where not needed, other than for a nostalgia effect of Shane using them in the past, the other spots would have more than carried the match in my opinion. AJ finally won with the flying forarm/elbow. Other than the foreign objects, the match might have been about five minutes and one or two false finishes longer than needed .

I give it 3 chair shots, it could have been four if they dialed it back just a tad.

The second match was champion Chris Jericho defending the United States Title against challenger Kevin Owens .

This match had possibly the best build up of the entire card. After months of being "best friends" Kevin Owens turned on and injured Jericho during their friendship ceremony and putting him out of action for weeks , upon his return Jericho cost Owens the Raw Universal championship and the feud heated up from there with Owens claiming he was never Jericho's friend and was using him all the while, while Jericho rightfully pointed out that he was the only reason Owens kept his own championship for as long as he did, and vowing to remind Owens who used to be his best friend, and hero! The match had a good pace, decent work with Jericho's limitations at his age , a few mediocre spots but nothing amazing, while managing to tell a good story within the match. Owens won surprisingly clean, if predictably viciously, but left the ring content with his new US title and without dishing out any post bell mayhem like you might expect.

I give this one 4 chair shots mostly for the buildup and in match storytelling.

Next up, the Raw Women's Championship Fatal 4 Way Elimination Match featuring the champion Bailey, Charlotte Flair, Nia Jax, and The Boss , Sasha Banks.

This match worked for what it was, I did like how both faces and one of the heels all three worked together to eliminate the biggest threat, Nia Jax first. It made some sense, but I think it would have made more sense for one heel (( Charlotte, )) to turn on the other heel ((Nia)) after working with her to eliminate her , then have the "best friends " faces Bailey and Sasha work together to eliminate Charlotte and face each other. Once it was the two of them, you could have the much anticipated(( but not happening so far)) Banks heel turn on Bailey for the win. Instead Banks gets eliminated by Charlotte leaving her and Bailey to face each other one on one, something we've seen enough of already, and Bailey winning after a beat down in typical face comeback border line getting lucky fashion. It didn't make Bailey as a champ look any more credible or stronger, something I think she badly needed .

Over all, I give it 3 chair shots.

After that, we have the Raw Tag Team Championship defended in a Fatal Four Way Ladder Match.

This COULD have been one of the better matches of the night, alas it was not meant to be....Originally billed as a Triple Threat between The Club consisting of Carl Machinegun Anderson and Gallows, VS Sheamuss and Cesaro, vs Big Cass and Enzo(( the most annoying man in professional wrestling at this time...)). HOWEVER , at the last second the returning Hardy Boys entered the fray and it turned into a heptically paced spot fest . Because that's what the Hardy's are, spot monkies, or glorified stunt men more so persay than actual professional wrestlers. I get it, they returned because of two reason, the first being the tag team situation being so stagnant on Raw, and them being the orignators of the Ladder Match. Having said that, let me say this ....I don't care. It was another case of the current talent taking a back seat to returning past their prime part timers . The Hardy's won, of course they did. I will say given the time they where given the other three teams managed to work some respectable spots of their own around the surprise and put on a half decent match despite the bullshit.

I give it 2 chair shots due to the inclusion of the Hardy's and the shortness of the match in general .No real story telling, little build to begin with, and not a lot of logic in my opinion. You want fresh faces in the tag ranks call them up from Nxt or bring in someone else younger and better from outside, WWE.

Speaking of bullshit , the show continued to take a turn for the worse as along came .....

The mixed gender tag team match. John "Superman"Cena and Nikki Bella vs The Mizz and Maryse.

This was another match, that had THE BEST short term build up in the month leading up to it . Both parties had mocked the other, said some very harsh things about the other, the Mizz to his credit with his spoofs of Total Bellas and John Cena, along with border line shoot promos had turned his game up about 11 notches for this feud. Across the ring, you have John Cena who actually broke his stenotype of goody two shoes in his go home promo . Unfortuantly, they're both saddled with their respective "better halves" neither of which can talk or wrestle worth a damn. AT. ALL. The two women might have spent a combined 2 minutes in the ring the entire match, most of which was spent chasing one another and tagging out to the men (( in all honestly this would have been better as a pure one on one between the guys with their better halves in their corners and not actually in the match))before the ending with a typical double pin in favor of Team Super Couple, Cena and Nikki. What was hilarious, is the crowd cheering for the Mizz the entire time him and Cena where in ring. The Mizz also got 99% of the offense on Cena before the big worn out, over done, seen it a million times so sick and tired of it comeback .

The announce team of course ignored the fact that Mizz was over Cena completely with the crowd and focused on the fact that John and Nikki where good people and Mizz and Maryse where bad bad bad bad people! After the match, Cena proposed to Nikki who accepted, and wrestling fans being wrestling fans, commenced to cheer for the couple they spent the last ten minutes booing and heckling. Not to mention Cena's proposal and Niiki's acceptance and reaction where somehow as wooden and at the same time as corney as their acting on their reality tv show, something the Mizz had brought attention to, along with their realationship itself and John's personality for that matter.

I give it one chair shot for Mizz's effort put into and carrying the entire feud and match on his on , what can you do when only one out of four people involved have any talent whatsoever?

Up next, was the first of the 3 "main events

HHH vs Seth Rollins in a "No hold responsible " match. (( Or something like that, just call it a NO DQ or No Holds Barred match WWE, for pete's sake !))

The reasoning behind this was Seth's supposed inability to be cleared for action by doctors. On top of his repeatedly injured knee at the hands of HHH, he had been battling the flu and a temapture of 103 degrees for the past several days.(( there's been a lot of speculation the knee injury was a semi-work and nowhere near as serious as storyline suggested, the flu on the other hand was apparently legit)). In a story of pupil seeking personal redemption, vs corrupt and manipulative mentor. The goofy entrances aside, HHH on a tricked out hog with Stephanie in her typical Mania Domimatrix leather , while Seth come out with the Olympic Torch and dressed like the yellow power ranger.....It was a good match, they stretched the believability of Seth's stamina and ability to overcome odds and obstacles to the breaking point and beyond it in some cases. Honestly, the match went on at least 15 minutes, with Seth's knee being re-attacked and injured and buckling in the ring at least 4 times I remember . I think the length of the match and the over-story telling and selling was as much HHH's ego , show as well in the by far flashiest entrances of any match. The highlight was Stephanie taking a bump through a table, a big time payoff, possibly even bigger than HHH's own defeat at the hands of Seth. It had a decent work rate, good spots if a few too many, and told a good story while accomplishing what they wanted to do in getting Seth back over majorly as face.

I give it 4 chair shots for the storytelling , and payoff to a storyline.(( Even though the Authority Storyline won't end, it will never end.....))

Next up, the WWE Smackdown Heavyweight Title Match -Randy Orton challenging Bray Wyatt.
Never mind the convoluted story leading into this, where Randy was fighting the Wyatts, then he joined the Wyatts, then he was the # 1 contender, then he wasn't then he turned on the Wyatts, then he was the # 1 contender again, and all the whackadoo segments involving graver robbery, cult activity and arson....

This match was doomed from the get go. I 'm a big Orton fan, I like his style but his style is a heel style and they had him as the face in this feud. It might work against some other heels, but not someone like Bray who has a somewhat slow with brief flurries of intense violent moves just like Orton's style. The match was either a hundred miles an hour or in reverse pace wise.Add all the special effects thrown in for the super "spooky dooky" mind games on Wyatts part, and he STILL at his most powerful loses to an off his game rattled Orton with an RKO out of nowhere ... so yeah, there goes all that momentum that Wyatt had gained by winning the title in Elimination chamber and defending it in a triple threat against Cena and Styles. Right. Out. The. Window.

I give it a 2 chair shots just because Orton did the best he could with what he had to work with story and opponent wise. He deserves so much better. And poor Wyatt, who could have been so much more, possibly the closest thing this generation had to an Undertaker, and booking and storytelling has RUINED HIM.

Up next, for reasons known only to Vince(( probably Stephanie in his ear with that screeching voice of hers)) was the Smackdown Women's Title Six Pack Challenge Match.

Like I said, why is this match smack in the middle of the triple main event matches? I could have understood if it was switched on the card with either of the matches right before it , for a cool down between main events, but Nooooooo...

I don't have a problem with women's matches. I do have a problem with title matches with more than 3 people in them. The storytelling and work rate goes right out the window when you have to try and get that many spots in and give everybody and their brother or in this case sister any time to shine at all. The match consisted of champion Alexa Bliss, vs the challenges of Nattalia Niehart, Becky Lynch, Mickie James, Carmella (( with James Ellsworth a comedy act that has long since worn out it's welcome....)) and the returning Niaomi . The last of whom was the champ just thirty days ago, who gave up the title because she couldn't defend do to injury even though she returned in less than the part time 30 day defense rule....

Anyway. Like the tag match it was given way too little time and was just a high speed train wreck of spots, spots, more spots, and false finishes. Everybody almost pinned somebody, or almost hit their finisher, or did hit their finisher and then got their pin or submission attempt broken up by the next person in line to not win, until the returning Naiomi (( or however the hell you spell her name)) hit her, new submission finisher and some how worse than her old (( I kid you not, a rump bump called the Rear View )) finisher on the champ and indeed won, just like you knew she would every since she returned just in time for this match....with a submission that literally looks like she's hugging her opponent around the chin...from behind....while squeezing their arms with her thighs.....@$!@$!@$!@$!@$!@$!@$!@. Nobody shined, nobody looked good or strong, nobody really looked anything other than rushed and forced in this match.

One chair shot, not the participants fault, bad booking, bad pacing, bad period. Well that new finisher is her fault....

And then came the second of the triple main events.

Raw Universal Champion Bill Goldberg vs Brock The Beast Lesnar with Paul Heyman.

This was the other surprise match of the night. It wasn't anywhere near as short or bad as everyone thought it was going to be. Both guys did what they could with their limited move sets and abilities at their age (( in Bill's case)) and part time (( in both cases))

It was a fairly fast paced hard hitting affair with a few decent spots, like I said actually exceeded all my expectations of it . Having said that, Brock finally gets his win back over Bill with 10 count em 10(( I would never have dreamed Goldberg could handle close to that many)) trips to suplex city and the F-5.

I give it believe it or not 4 chair shots, other than the fact it was two part times working a short match they took chicken shit and made chicken salad!

And then.

And THEN.

The Main Event....

The Undertaker vs Roman Reigns in a No Holds Barred Battle For the Yard.

They added the No Holds Barred thing at the last second, and for what I don't know. A handful of chair shots, a table bump outside the ring? Taker and Roman did what they could in the ring, with Taker's age and health, not to mention Roman's own limited ability and move set holding them both back. It told a story, it wasn't a good story, Taker will regret if this really is his last match. It'll come back to bite the WWE in the ass when their new golden boy can't buy a face crowd reaction, not even a split crowd reaction if he becomes known as the guy who retired Taker. I really felt sorry for Taker, being the company man he is and professional he agreed to this, and tried to make it work but it just felt forced. Especially when it was a heavy handed copy of the finish to the Flair/HBK retirement match a few years ago with the defiant Taker's body giving out even when his defiant heart and spirit still faught on...although, honestly even for Taker 5 Superman punches , several chair shots and 4 or 5 spears was a BIT MUCH

I give Taker props, he tried. Roman even tried. It was another storyline and match doomed from the get go.

I give it 3 chair shots mostly for Taker, once again like a lot of others on the card , especially if this was his last match he DESERVED BETTER.

A few last take aways. Some of the costumes.......Sheamus and Cesaro, Becky Lynch, New Day(( but then again no surprise they where bad)) and Seth where .....special and not in a good way. Like I said before , Seth looked like the yellow power ranger, Becky looked like an Irish/Jamacian/steampunk/Native American with her hair and outfit.... and I don't even know what the hell Sheamuss and Cesarro had, leather kilt bottoms with Tuxedo tops!?!?

My other bigger gripe was the fact that neither the Cruiser Weight Championship match , or the Smackdown Tag Championship Match was even on the card, not even the pre-show. The former I think got snubbed for fear of Neviel and Austin Aries literally stealing the show given half a chance. The latter just makes no sense at all, and reminds you of what Vince really thinks of Smackdown and it's titles.

So overall, as negative as I come across, I give the show :chair: :chair: :chair: chair shots. It wasn't horrible, it could have been a lot better. It had a couple stinkers, the mixed tag and Smack down Women's matches. It had a couple matches that went above and beyond, Shane vs AJ and Brock vs Goldberg, and a lot that where somewhere right smack dab in the middle.