Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are you reading or Watching right now?  (Read 6941 times)

DMD

• View Profile
What are you reading or Watching right now?
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:35:42 AM »

Books, movies, tv shows!

DMD

• View Profile
Re: What are you reading or Watching right now?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »

Reading wise lately for me it's been the latest installment of the Dresden Files, Skingame, the Stormlight Chronicles, and a cheap paper back The Montauk Monster.

The first, if you like the series you'll like it, even though this chapter felt more like a stand alone space filler adventure , it didn't move any of the over lapping plots forward much or do much to add to any of the characters, or change the status quo.

The second might be the best fantasy series or at least tied with  Patrick Ruffuss' Name of the Wind series for it.

The last is a Hammer Horror film in paperback form, if you like drive in or Scyfy channel horror movies it's for you.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »

As far as watching, movies lately I've enjoyed pretty much the last 4-5 I went to see.

Godzilla, 4 of 5 stars. I could have used a little less family drama and love story in my giant monster movie, only real gripe with it .

Captain America Winter Soldier-  4 of 5 stars. Probably the best of Marvel's Avenger movie group so far other than Avengers itself. Like Thor the sequel was better than the first . Like Thor the ending was a little meh to me and didn't exactly leave me dying for the next installment to get here already.

Days of Future Past- 3 1/2 of 5 Stars. It like First Class was better than it had any right to be or I expected, a little light on the action and some of the characters seemed a bit off to me, but unlike Thor or Cap it actually left me slobbering in anticipation for the next one with the teaser at the end...

Amazing Spiderman 2- 3 of 5 stars. I might be in the extreme minority that liked it for the most part.  I agree the kid that played Harry Osborne was terrible  and they laid it on a bit thick with the Gwen Stacey side kick but I enjoyed the action and the teaser of Black Cat being in the next one.

As far as shows, now that Justified, Shield and Arrow have all ended I don't watch much.

Justified 41/2 of 5 stars. Might be the best cop show since The Shield, not ueber realistic but still has some great characters and fairly interesting plots that carry it .

Agents of Shield 3 of 5 stars. Took forever to get going and get good but when it finally did I was entertained, still could use a bit more action and more C list guest stars, give us more low tier heroes and villains in this show that don't get used in the movies, Marvel!

Arrow - 2 1/2 stars. Might be some of the worst acting I've ever seen, the guest cameos and new spins on old characters and concepts from the comics save it for me.Low budget and effects hold the action scenes back, and there's just a tad too much soap opera in my superhero show for me. The writing isn't that bad just terrible acting and execution of the ideas on the cast and director's parts , in my opinion.

I saw a few episodes of Falling Skies and I might pick it up when the 3rd season comes back. Funny that one of the better looking Scifi shows isn't on Scyfy?

Speaking of Scyfy, I'll pick back up on Defiance when it comes back

I'll also give the Flash a chance when it airs .

I got mixed feelings about Gotham, not sure I want to see a Batman the Wonder Years . If they keep Bruce and Batman almost out of the picture,either have Bruce abroad most of the time or vey brief glimpses of a shadowy figure from time to time it might work if the focus on the other characters like Gordan and Bullock but I doubt they'll do that...

Moondog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »

Got Chew volumes 6, 7, and 8 in the mail. Pretty excited for those.

Love me some Chew.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »

Watched RIPD , terrible movie. 0 of 5 stars

A Turtle

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:08 AM »

Reading: Black Science, Saga, A Game of Thrones, A few free books I got at a convention, lotsa unread comics/books I intend to watch.

Watching: Black Lagoon, Attack on Titan, Adventure TIme, Regular show, Wrestling, TRYING to watch Game of Thrones (Hopefully the DVDs dont die/my xbox doesnt kill them), etc, etc...a buncha stuff all around.

Rumors

• unwelcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:50:31 AM »

Watching: PRETTY LITTLE LIARS!!!! Log Horizon.

Reading: Nothing :( I'm saving myself for Winds of Winter.

but if anyone has a good recommendation for a voodoo/witchcraft or murder mystery/suspense or fantasy novel similar to GoT I'd love to hear 'em!

A Turtle

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »

Have fun waiting until after this year...in regards to Winds of Winter.

topazthespaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »

Reading... so Far the Game of Thrones books, and a few assorted comics.

Watching GoT, Penny Dreadful, Heroe4s of Cosplay, and that's it

Movies so far have been Godzilla which was I thought damn near perfect, and Edge of Tomorrow which was basically alien invasion Groundhogs day, and was much better than I had planned.

Currently waiting for Gotham because I actually liked the comic series that was more focused on the GCPD instead of Batman.

Ix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »

I'm working, slowly, through The Bonehunters, one of the books from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Pretty good - harder to predict than most, which is really nice, and when I have to refer to the dictionary to see what the hell a word means, it's less "Oh, look at the thesaurus access, what a magnificent ponce," and more "Oh, cool, new word."

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »

Reading... so Far the Game of Thrones books, and a few assorted comics.

Watching GoT, Penny Dreadful, Heroe4s of Cosplay, and that's it

Movies so far have been Godzilla which was I thought damn near perfect, and Edge of Tomorrow which was basically alien invasion Groundhogs day, and was much better than I had planned.

Currently waiting for Gotham because I actually liked the comic series that was more focused on the GCPD instead of Batman.

I have a sinking feeling that Gotham is going to be Batman the Wonder Years. But, if they focus on Gordon, Bullock,Montonya, and James Corrigan or Jason Blood it could be interesting in a GCPD kind of way.

Scarley-Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »

Watching: Sherlock Season 3 <3<3<3, X-Files, Desperate Housewives.

Reading: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice And Fire.

Movies: The Other Woman - HILARIOUS. Thor 2 - AMAZING. Captain America Winter Soldier - PHENOMENAL.

Waiting For: Guardians of the Galaxy.

but if anyone has a good recommendation for a voodoo/witchcraft or murder mystery/suspense or fantasy novel similar to GoT I'd love to hear 'em!

Rumors, you should try the Kay Scarpetta Series by Patricia Cornwell. I love those books they are pretty cookie-cutter murder mystery though. Or Women of The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong if you like Strong Women/Paranormal/Supernatural/Slightly Romance kinda stuff.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:44:58 PM by Scarley-Doll »

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »

Defiance
Falling Skies

The Last Ship

I picked up on these three recently,Last Ship is good, not sure about Defiance or Falling Skies yet

Tried Dominion, thought it was terrible.

Snewrigard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »

Rereading all of the Fitz and the Fool books by Robin Hobb, before the newest addition is released next month.

I've completed the first trilogy so far, and am now about 40% the way through The Fool's Errand, the first book from the Tawny Man trilogy.

As for watching, I've been on an Orange Is The New Black binge, but not much else.

DMD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »

I'm working, slowly, through The Bonehunters, one of the books from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Pretty good - harder to predict than most, which is really nice, and when I have to refer to the dictionary to see what the hell a word means, it's less "Oh, look at the thesaurus access, what a magnificent ponce," and more "Oh, cool, new word."

I almost bought one of these the other day at the book store, what is the series about?
Pages: [1] 2