Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Vidyagaems, Childhood Edition  (Read 4285 times)

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
Vidyagaems, Childhood Edition
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:33 AM »

So let's bring back a little trip down memory lane.
Rules:
Choose a videogame from your childhood: Only ones you've played up until you were 15 at the most, 16 at a stretch, beyond that starting to get into adult territory so nope.
There is no restrictions on system whatsoever, even if it's a fucking obscure one. Console, PC, arcade, handheld, whatever. Even if it's an N-Gage one, or 3ds, providing it meets the age bracket above.
NO JUDGING PEOPLE FOR THEIR GAMING TASTES. THIS IS NOT THAT KIND OF THREAD. We've all got weird fucking tastes in vidya gaems.
Post a pic or video if at all possible, and give a brief rundown of it purely from memory, give some details of what system it was on, what got you into it, what made it stick out in your mind, however much detail you can. Don't worry about nostalgia goggles, let it happen.
THEN, if you're up to do it, go ahead and emulate/play it however you can for a brief period to get a feel for it again, and THEN post how it's aged, and what your current feelings on the game are from a fresh new perspective! (obviously this works best if you haven't played it in a while) :D

Game doesn't have to be one you liked or anything, it could be one that just stuck in your mind all this time for whatever reason!

annnnnnnnnd GO!

------------------------------------------------------------

For me, this game kinda always stuck out in my head (can you bloody well guess why? e_e; ): Foxx Fights Back.
http://youtu.be/DEg9543cxdw

As you can see from the video, it was a silly little 2d scrolling platformy shooter where you had to collect food for your mate and bring it back home to feed her, for... whatever reason. I don't remember exactly, I got the game on a covertape for  a magazine for my Spectrum 128K +2 and there was no manual for it, aside from the instructions and very brief blurb the magazine gave for it (I am still convinced those magazine cover tape games had the instructions written by people who just played the game to figure it out rather than read the ACTUAL manual if there was one because some of the explainations of 'story' were a bit off the wall).

I know this game came out on C64 and a bunch of other old 8bit home computer systems back then, but all I had was the Spectrum version, which you can see in that video (specifically that's the 128K version, as you can tell from the sound effects... trust me the 48K version would either be worse sounding, or would be blissfully silent). I used to put hours into this game trying to figure out the point of it or the win condition or just figure out what to do and how far I could get. It was a blindingly simple game but for me it was pretty fun. I used to be endlessly amused by sitting next to the character's mate and letting her beat up on him with those wonderfully cartoonish bleeps indicating her beating his head in for not bringing food home.

I remember once reaching the very end of the map on the right hand side and getting what.. I assume was meant to be an uzi or something but it looked more like a laser gun, and how it slowed the game to a miserable crawl, but how cool it seemed.... and then dying like five seconds afterwards because I had kited EVERY SINGLE ENEMY THAT COULD MOVE in the game to the end of the level. So one fox with a laser uzi, vs a hundred enemies, 99% of which would not render or appear or shoot until the others were dead, whereupon they would be on you and killing you.

-------------

Now having played it again, figured I'd do that while I had a spectrum emulator on my system and the tape image, oh my GOD. Jesus. The game's still as charming as I remember but yeah it seems it has very little depth at all. There's no win condition, there's no more levels barring that one, and the game's challenge is unreasonably hard. It's a bad game, but it's still amusing, at least. I kind of wish someone would remake it because I kind of want to see what modern sensibilities would do to that game.

Also oh my GOD this isn't fair: http://youtu.be/LI4oLF1EQbU
THAT'S the version the C64 got!? Those animations! Those gameplay tweaks! The collision detection!! The speed!!! AUGH! So not fair. ;_; That game version is so much better than the Speccy version. FUCK! so jelly. You couldn't platform like that in the SPectrum version. D: You couldn't do HALF the shit you can in that C64 version on the Speccy!

MAD Jelly.

(Granted looks like there's still no win condition but hey the challenge is balanced by the looks of things.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:02:17 AM by AsinineVulpine »

topazthespaz

• View Profile
Re: Vidyagaems, Childhood Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »

Splatterhouse for the Turbo Graphix 16, Robotrek for snes. Would love to find a turbo graphix emulator though that system was tiiiiight

Aran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »

I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii virtual console for the past few weeks. I loved that shit when I was younger. I'm all the way to Smithy's factory. Gonna finish it out when I get home from work tomorrow morning.

Karasu

• Ne Invocas Non Expellere Posis, Principum Mors Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:57:12 AM »

I'll narrow my selection down to the PC ones.

The game "Let me Out of Here!"

Wayyyyy old. Like 286 computer old. The game was based on a dream like world where you were locked into the game by the computer. Your setting was some kind of mixed military installation / Shop / Oddworld. The ideal of the game was to escape the world by any means possible. Space craft, exits, even self destruction. The graphics are shit. Blocky squarish cubism of things and people to include your main character. You are started off in an area much like a Seven Eleven register area with a secret tunnel you had to squat/duck into on your left under part of the counter. It was a difficult but entertaining game.

Another old game? "Continuum"
In this one you are represented by a character/ship that is represented as a blockish figure seemingly close in visual appearance to a rook figure from chess. You are to navigate space puzzles, using thrusters/jumps directional misdirection and redirection, and some quite weird spacial sorts of movement ideals.

Games I've liked from that era are many though...
Lock Out (Game where you had to cut down the available space of a ball bouncing within a cube by crossing the space without being hit by the ball... ran on CPU clock-speed so it's unplayable anymore.)
LAD(Local Area Dungeons),
Gauntlet(the five and a half floppy version.).
Dungeons and Dragons  (The one on three and a quarter disk[Morrowind like shit pretty much]. Not to be confused with the ADnD CD which was the compendium, DM manual, Player Handbook, and full dossier that was issued before 1999. God I wish I could get my hands on that one again.)
Hero's Quest/Kings Quest.
Dune2: The building of an empire(Cause the first one in its slide tray was more story bound and not as interesting. Not RTS mostly.)
Dr Spadso/Dr Spatso(sp)(Psych program that was fun to break.)
Outrun.
Pepper's Adventures(I think I had the one where she was launched back in time to deal with Eddison.)
Quatra Command.
Manhole(So fun, but nuts.).
Red Alert(The earlier C&C got borrish fast beyond the demo version. Most stuff avoiding the tiberium BS was interesting.)
Diablo1 (Music still gives me the creeps, this game knew how to keep suspense unlike the later ones.).
Dungeon Keeper2(Hella fun).
Loom.
Warcraft 1&2... which sadly ended up turning to shite there after.
Slave Zero(FUCK YES. SUSHI AND AWESOME SAUCE.).
Total Anihilation: Kingdoms(Story, cinematic, and the ideas behind it were all awesome. I especially loved the "Victims not Victors" speech. Gameplay and levels were a bit clunky though.)
Kyrandia.... All of it : 1,2,and 3. Jones in the fast Lane(Earliest version of something like the Sims kinda).
Sim Ant. Sim Farm. There were many Sim games.
Terminal Velocity (Fucking kick ass flight simulation game that would probably still give any Ace combat a run for its money even with the old graphics ;Some levels were harder than anything you find today.)
Test Drive 5.
.......... *continues ranting off favorites from ages back* (Still plays Black and White1 on his pc <.<;;;;;)*

And Games which over time I've forgotten the names of but not the stories and plots as well as mechanics of. So many. I've been a game addict most of my life. It's obvious as day if you know me well.
"All who stand before me will fall, all who lay behind me know this well."
"Names? How fickle and odd. You are my people and here we stand together as one."

A Turtle

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 01:09:49 AM »

Not gonna get into details, BUT:

Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire
Warcraft 1&2
Starcraft for N64
Star Wars, KOTOR
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunter
Final Fantasy 4, 6, and 8
Front Mission 3
Pokemon Blue, Red, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

...There are a TON honestly.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:45 AM »

Splatterhouse for the Turbo Graphix 16, Robotrek for snes. Would love to find a turbo graphix emulator though that system was tiiiiight

There is infact TG16/PC Engine emulators out there. (yeah the TG16 is also called the PC Engine. that should help you find an emulator of it)

Ultimate Enemy Armored Temmie

• hOI!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »

There was this old game I used to play called Bigfoot.  This was back in the day when Monster Trucks where just as popular as the original Wrestlers. *Hulk Hogan, Carolina Crusher, Undertaker, Randy Savage*

Bigfoot was based off of the Monstertruck, but had little realism involved.  Based off of the NES, it was a two-part game.  The first part involved a overhead level where you went through what was basically an obstacle course collecting cash for part 2.  Part 2 was a side-scroller where you would have to rapidly press left and right to make your truck go.  There are various areas for these, but some things repeat.  There are cars to smash, hills to climb, and mudpits to go through.  Before each side-scroll level you got to spend your cash on vehicle upgrades...and you needed them.

Engines, wheels, suspension, other things.  The better it was, the faster you would get through of course.  I don't think I ever beat the game, but I liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTePy6hQdk

Edit: Gotta say, its alot more quite then I remember.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:35:09 PM by Darklight »

Aran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:10 AM »

I remember playing that game. Bigfoot was one of those games I'd forgotten about until now.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:25:14 AM »

I can safely say I've never played Bigfoot but it looks great! :D It's nice to see such depth in an old game like that!

• hOI!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »

Yet another NES game that I remember enjoying, yet never getting too far in was a little gem called Snake Rattle n Roll.  For starters, you played as snakeheads, either Rattle or Roll.  The game was played at an angled view, like Q-Bert or Marble Madness, so the directional buttons made you go in diagonal direction instead of just left and right.  The goal of the game was pretty simple, you started at X position, went throughout the level, found the goal and went in to proceed.  Along the way you had to eat these ball things.  These balls where all over the place.  Being shot out of Tuba pipes, hidden underneath manhole covers, or dropped by a few select enemies *That you could damage by licking them with your tongue*  The more you ate, the longer your tail got and the more you weighed.  You needed to weigh more because at the end there was a weigh scale that would determine if the end goal gate would open or not.  Two players obviously had a better chance at doing that.

Along the way there was level-specific enemies.  Sometimes the food would be wrapped up in some gimmic that you would need to tongue away before you could eat it.  Then there was The Big Foot.  The big foot was a nasty piece of work that went about in a part of each level and stomped the shit out of anything that came nearby.  One stomp, you'd lose your tail.  You had to lick-attack the thing a ton to kill it, and while it never dropped anything, its destruction would open up the area that it was in for your perusement.  There where secret areas of course, some that where time-challenged based.  The game was more about tricky pathways and timed jumps then any real combat difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF19LhEM8Q8

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 04:15:34 AM »

oh my GOD I played that game! I got recommended it some years back. It's ridiculously hard but so cool! A great concept!... Surprisingly for the day the controls aren't horrible either. It's pretty well designed, and even though the isometric view can properly fuck you sometimes it's not an awful game at all!

Good call there, DL.

• hOI!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »

Pin*Bot

This game.  One of the many NES Pinball games.  I always felt it was rather different from the others.  Gameplay wise? I dont think it really had much that was all that different, but it just felt different to me.  I really liked the visual setup.  It was also one of those really hard NES games.

On that note, Pin*Bot had a rather creepy robot girl in the introduction screen that just made me cringe every time I saw her and her circuit bewbs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBKxRiDnGgs