Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A call to arms-Mods  (Read 6829 times)

Darth Ragerade

• View Profile
Re: A call to arms-Mods
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

I love the concept.

In fact I agree with everything about freeform and the Keep in general that has been said.

But I don't think dice rolls would be necessary. Even if they would enforce a fairness to it all.

But that's just my opinion.

Volkmoor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »

But here in lies the biggest problem. In a rp where consequences are permanent and your actions shape the room and world in a big or small way how do you fairly and with out bias decide actions. Combat especially, so obviously some one with a more general knowledge of blade or blunt weaponry knows the limitations better then just a every day fantasy player. So then the one with more knowledge would call BS and then what? Good Ol fashioned "I got you!" "Na ah!" "Yeah huh!". Yeah dice rolls are a wide variable and could cause upset when a veteran and more powerful player gets a string of bad rolls and loses to a new person but that would be dictated by the players. It could be a mix of those willing and those not . it would make players second think straight into a fight. They'd try other methods, sneaky methods. The others would by in normal free form but it'd had to be decided prior to as adults.

Fenris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »

Yeah the whole "yuh huh, Nuh uh!" thing is gonna be a problem, I agree and it gets really tiresome after x-amount of years. I can deal with dice with NPC's and mass skirmishes but having someone basically do everything wrong and getting by cause of some random dice roll is 10,000,000 times worse to me. It takes logic out the window and makes it about pure chance.

If that's how its gonna be then.

I will say however that there might be a different way to do this, like giving characters stats or something too. Maybe dice would work in that context but they would not necessarily be needed and if you added dice with stats it would just become table top. Personally If I was in your shoes I might want to just consider having characters establish some kind of stat-system that dictates their capacities.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:20:57 PM by Fenris »

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »

i don't like playing with dice either

but, if anything, dice are a better simulation of how the world works than dictating everything with "logic". using random dice is a much better imitation of uncertainty than anything else; the success of trying to jump a lengthy gap being dependant on your leg strength and some random luck is more gooder.
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off

Fenris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »

i don't like playing with dice either

but, if anything, dice are a better simulation of how the world works than dictating everything with "logic". using random dice is a much better imitation of uncertainty than anything else; the success of trying to jump a lengthy gap being dependant on your leg strength and some random luck is more gooder.

I can see your point in that sometimes things are just too hard to call, but a lot of times I think things are pretty cut and dry. I mean what are the chances someone will miss in a point-blank action? Or like a trained dude swinging a sword and missing so bad the other guy does not even have to defend?

Feats of prowess in relation to the environment, keeping track of large numbers of NPC's in relation to reacting to large AoE's or morale or other intangible factors. Yeah I can see dice for that.

So yeah like the insertion of "uncertainty" or "fallibility" is a point but as I said I think that regulates itself because no player is infallible and therefore no action is infallible, the issue is when people refuse to accept this which is why some people turn to dice, cause at least then they have some "universal-arbiter" that forces people to adhere to the result of a situation even if the dice (arbiter) might not be necessary or accurate in relation to the situation.

What it really comes down too is people want accountability, and many people feel the only way to get that is through dice but I feel the dice rolls exaggerate certain factors especially if not paired with stats or something. But if you add dice + stats then it just becomes a typical RPG.

The only place this idea has worked is the cross-roads RP, perhaps Volkmoor might want to check them out, but I think its basically a closed free-form setting I think in that they accept everything but everyone has to use dice so they don't interact outside of the RP I believe. I'm not sure if this is the case but people can prolly check it out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:56:02 AM by Fenris »

Kade

• "So you have a slime fetish?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »

Dice suck.
Pages: 1 [2]