Nexxushost Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why are there people so picky about grammer?  (Read 11590 times)

micheldahon

• View Profile
Why are there people so picky about grammer?
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »

I've had encounters with a few people on here that are so obsessed with grammer that it make TK no fun.  And I suppose there is nothing we can do about people like that either?  :'(

Rumors

• unwelcome
    • View Profile
Re: Why are there people so picky about grammer?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »

I don't know that anything could be done about that, unless someone is blatantly harassing you about it.

For me, at least, trying to be on point with spelling/grammar really helps me immerse myself in RP. There's something a little jaunting about seeing egregious errors all over what would have otherwise been a good/great post when words are all we have to paint a scene or build our characters, so when you play with someone who puts little to no effort in it it can really ruin the effect. It's especially frustrating if you're the type of person that really wants a post to be polished before hitting enter, because you come to expect/want the same from others. It also reads as being a bit lazy, I think.

That being said, I think it's important for those prone to correcting people to keep in mind that maybe not every speaks English as a first language, or maybe someone has a learning disability, or maybe they honestly just didn't know. There's a nice and helpful way to go about it and I think people forget that.

And then there are folks that do it to make themselves feel superior and that's just dumb and obnoxious.

Furr

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »

When your medium of conversation and expression is text, proper grammar and spelling is paramount to be firstly respected as a peer and secondly better get your points across.

There's nothing worse than entering an RP, or just open-world and you play with someone who can't differentiate between 'your' and 'you're', or 'their' and 'they're', or 'through' and 'threw'. You do not 'wonder' around, you wander.

I either just up and leave, or attempt to correct if the person is willing to listen - I try my best to type correctly, and if I do make errors, I either correct them when I see them, or when others point it out to me.

Also, to note, English is my second language.

jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »

Not exactly I can think of various things where Grammar does not matter.

1. text
2. RP
3. really doesn't matter to be honest if you are typing and not really rping because you are technically speaking through text and you can have run ons during speech authors do it all the time heck some even destinguish characters that way by giving their characters accents like for example

ex.  "hey thar you gonna be late whydontcha hurry"

4. for emphasis
ex.

"I am writing properly but I want to get your attentum right there because that part of the sentence is very important."

People just like to cry more about grammar, funny when you see those grammar nazi's mess up on grammar just as they correct others.

elitism is dumb in that context and there are various ways you can go by correcting someone without belittling or putting them down.

just rp with people that can tolerate it usually people that get butthurt over grammar aren't fun to rp with because they have a bible full of rules for RP it makes rp dull.

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

literacy is correlated with intelligence and grammar is correlated with literacy

lack of grammar just feels stupid and taking something seriously is harder without it

also if your serious points are occasionally spliced with pictures of puppies, it's even harder to take it seriously

imagine reading a book: "and alice said ' i luv u jony' and jony said i luv u 2' "

also the way something's written is pretty heavily related to how it's read in the mind. commas can make a huge difference, and grammatically correct usage of them can make things nicer
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:08:58 PM by Dr. Javi »
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off

Rom Spaceknight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Some people are just sticklers. Other people use it as a way to harass others for their perceived level of intelligence. Others use it as a way to come off as superior.

I'm all for writing clearly but I'm against making people feel like shit because of the way they type. And like Rumors pointed out, no grammar wonk has ever considered the fact that someone who isn't the best typist might be dyslexic or have some other learning difficulty.

literacy is correlated with intelligence and grammar is correlated with literacy

lack of grammar just feels stupid and taking something seriously is harder without it

also if your serious points are occasionally spliced with pictures of puppies, it's even harder to take it seriously

~*DOGZ*~

imagine reading a book: "and alice said ' i luv u jony' and jony said i luv u 2' "

also the way something's written is pretty heavily related to how it's read in the mind. commas can make a huge difference, and grammatically correct usage of them can make things nicer

A communication medium isn't a book. Also, there have been books like that and ones that violate other grammar rules. There's a Czech novel called Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age that is actually one sentence that lasts for about 100 pages.

I get where people are coming from though. People should really should know the rules before breaking them. In other words, like Mr. T says, stay in school.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:12:52 PM by Rom Spaceknight »

Fenris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »

I think as long as people can understand what you are trying to convey you should be good. My grammar/punctuation is notoriously bad. I am prone to redundancy and run on sentences, but I acknowledge this and try to reign it in or correct it when I can.

However when someone disregards an entire point or post cause you misplaced a comma or misused a context I think that's just pretentious and many times irrelevant providing they understood what was conveyed. You should try to aim for good grammar/punctuation, but I think if you miss the mark people should cut some slack, but there is also a limit obviously when you are just spewing text-speak and using all caps all the time etc.

Dr. Javi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »

the book was exemplary. the point was to show an extreme where grammar really mattered, so one might be able to empathize if they didn't before (furthermore, i approach reading an rp pretty similarly to reading a book). a communication medium isn't a bookóbut it's still a medium to convey information, and information conveyed is more than just the words said.

it's connotation, and all of those other good things that come along with communicationóincluding the perception accompanying a disregard for grammar

what level of grammar are we talking about here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:15:46 PM by Dr. Javi »
you can clearly see that budapestian bitch has gotta' be soaked in the knickers all fanning herself off

Vivi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »

I'd say it depends on level of grammar. If you can't even bother to run a basic spellchecker on something you're going to post....why should I bother to read it? My spelling and grammar are terrible, but I always make sure I do that. Heck, even just Firefox's spellchecker caught about ten typos in this post

Similarly if you manage a 300 word post with no periods its going to be irritating. I don't have perfect grammar, but like I said, its common courtesy to run it though a spellchecker. If its something a spellchecker wouldn't catch....well then oh well.

jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »

Actually you made sense with the dog splicing beause it kept me wanting to read more, without it I would have thought your paragraph was dull and not worth reading. It's an eye catcher and it kept me reading.

Nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:14:24 AM »

*Slides hand down face*

Ugh.
Like white iron, I am strong and hard, but brittle.
I am ever in the process of being reforged.

AsinineVulpine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:50:22 AM »

*Grammar

jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »

grammar? *<-- u furgotz bout ze question mark vulpine and its lowercase, jsing.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »

That title though.

MEGAMADMUSICIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »

Now that I see this is a thread, I can answer this age-old question!

Because people like understanding what the fuck you're talking about. It's as simple as that.

I was in a god-game with a GM with fucking near-unintelligible posts. It was by far one of the most painful games I've ever been a part of. Like, the guy had good ideas: It's just that it was damn well near impossible to understand him. You would have to read his posts multiple times to just get a -gist- of what the fuck was going on. I can post an example if you would like.

That is why people are picky about grammar. They don't expect you to use college-level shit, but holy hell make sure that you can be understood when you're writing something at least.
The only way to win...

...is to not play.
Pages: [1] 2 3